taking meeting notes on Scrum of Scrums

  • joel.feldman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 18, 2009
      Our Scrum of Scrums Scrum Master has started taking notes and distributing to the attendees after each scrum.

      I know in general we try to keep scrum as ‘light weight’ as possible but this might be useful since so many team members can be affected by what other teams are doing. This can also be useful when some team members have accents which other team members may not be used to.

      I’d be curious if other people have similar practices in their Scrum of Scrums and what your experiences are.

      Assuming we continue with this, I am thinking about suggesting that instead of the scrum master taking notes, have round table participants enter their updates into a shared Google spreadsheet before each scrum (offloads scrum master, has team members have more ownership).
    • maxwell_keeler
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 19, 2009
        Joel,

        Great question, I've been wondering the same thing myself. My take is that taking and distributing notes at the SoS is not sustainable. I liken attendance of the meeting to the agile prinicple of "working software" and reading the minutes "documentation". I would try to promote attendance.

        That said, if the organization is too large for that, minutes might be the right thing to do. You would just want to:
        a) rotate that reponsibility between participants
        b) don't make it a substitute for attending

        Max

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "joel.feldman" <jfeldman@...> wrote:

        > Our Scrum of Scrums Scrum Master has started taking notes and distributing to the attendees after each scrum.
        >
        > I know in general we try to keep scrum as ‘light weight’ as possible but this might be useful since so many team members can be affected by what other teams are doing. This can also be useful when some team members have accents which other team members may not be used to.
        >
        > I’d be curious if other people have similar practices in their Scrum of Scrums and what your experiences are.
        >
        > Assuming we continue with this, I am thinking about suggesting that instead of the scrum master taking notes, have round table participants enter their updates into a shared Google spreadsheet before each scrum (offloads scrum master, has team members have more ownership).

      • George Dinwiddie
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 19, 2009
          Good points, Max.

          One approach to taking minutes would be to write the items on a
          whiteboard or flipchart, and then take a digital photo at the end. I
          use this means to record a lot of meeting notes.

          - George

        • drc@outformations.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 19, 2009
            We do this too... Using Whiteboard Meeting Notes

            -- David Chilcott
            Outformations, Inc.
            drc@...
            510.655.7122 Voice

            Keep Breathing. Tell the Truth. Be Fearless. Choose Love. Embrace the
            Mystery.

            George Dinwiddie
            <lists@idiacomput
            ing.com> To
            Sent by: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
            scrumdevelopment@ cc
            yahoogroups.com
            Subject
            Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: taking
            06/19/2009 06:28 meeting notes on Scrum of Scrums
            PM

            Please respond to
            scrumdevelopment@
            yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 19, 2009
            Oops... the link didn't make it... Using Whiteboard Meeting Notes

            http://www.outformations.com/blog/?p=16

            -- David Chilcott
            Outformations, Inc.
            drc@...
            510.655.7122 Voice

            Keep Breathing. Tell the Truth. Be Fearless. Choose Love. Embrace the
            Mystery.

            drc@outformations
            .com
            Sent by: To
            scrumdevelopment@ scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
            yahoogroups.com cc

            Subject
            06/19/2009 09:05 Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: taking
            PM meeting notes on Scrum of Scrums

            Please respond to
            scrumdevelopment@
            yahoogroups.com

            maxwell_keeler wrote:
            > Joel,
            >
            > Great question, I've been wondering the same thing myself. My take
            > is that taking and distributing notes at the SoS is not sustainable.
            > I liken attendance of the meeting to the agile prinicple of "working
            > software" and reading the minutes "documentation". I would try to
            > promote attendance.
            >
            > That said, if the organization is too large for that, minutes might
            > be the right thing to do. You would just want to: a) rotate that
            > reponsibility between participants b) don't make it a substitute for
            > attending
            >
            > Max
            >
            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "joel.feldman"
            > <jfeldman@...> wrote:
            >> Our Scrum of Scrums Scrum Master has started taking notes and
            >> distributing to the attendees after each scrum.
            >>
            >> I know in general we try to keep scrum as ‘light weight’ as
            >> possible but this might be useful since so many team members can be
            >> affected by what other teams are doing. This can also be useful
            >> when some team members have accents which other team members may
            >> not be used to.
            >>
            >> I’d be curious if other people have similar practices in their
            >> Scrum of Scrums and what your experiences are.
            >>
            >> Assuming we continue with this, I am thinking about suggesting that
            >> instead of the scrum master taking notes, have round table
            >> participants enter their updates into a shared Google spreadsheet
            >> before each scrum (offloads scrum master, has team members have
            >> more ownership).

          • sepreece
            Message 6 of 11 , Jun 20, 2009
              If you've got a projector in the room, or everybody has a laptop anyway, entering the notes in real time into a wiki page can work well, especially if you have a proficient note-taker (like most things, not everybody is good at it).

              scott

              > Good points, Max.
              >
              > One approach to taking minutes would be to write the items on a
              > whiteboard or flipchart, and then take a digital photo at the end. I
              > use this means to record a lot of meeting notes.
              >
              > - George
              >
              > maxwell_keeler wrote:
              > > Joel,
              > >
              > > Great question, I've been wondering the same thing myself. My take
              > > is that taking and distributing notes at the SoS is not sustainable.
              > > I liken attendance of the meeting to the agile prinicple of "working
              > > software" and reading the minutes "documentation". I would try to
              > > promote attendance.
              > >
              > > That said, if the organization is too large for that, minutes might
              > > be the right thing to do. You would just want to: a) rotate that
              > > reponsibility between participants b) don't make it a substitute for
              > > attending
              > >
              > > Max
              > >
              > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "joel.feldman"
              > > <jfeldman@> wrote:
              > >> Our Scrum of Scrums Scrum Master has started taking notes and
              > >> distributing to the attendees after each scrum.
              > >>
              > >> I know in general we try to keep scrum as ‘light weight’ as
              > >> possible but this might be useful since so many team members can be
              > >> affected by what other teams are doing. This can also be useful
              > >> when some team members have accents which other team members may
              > >> not be used to.
              > >>
              > >> I’d be curious if other people have similar practices in their
              > >> Scrum of Scrums and what your experiences are.
              > >>
              > >> Assuming we continue with this, I am thinking about suggesting that
              > >> instead of the scrum master taking notes, have round table
              > >> participants enter their updates into a shared Google spreadsheet
              > >> before each scrum (offloads scrum master, has team members have
              > >> more ownership).
              >
              > --

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 7 of 11 , Jun 20, 2009
                sepreece wrote:
                > If you've got a projector in the room, or everybody has a laptop
                > anyway, entering the notes in real time into a wiki page can work
                > well, especially if you have a proficient note-taker (like most
                > things, not everybody is good at it).

                Scott, I disagree strongly with this. It would be much better to take
                no notes, but have everyone paying full attention. Multitasking like
                this is really insidious.

                - George

              • sepreece
                Message 8 of 11 , Jun 20, 2009
                  Well, that's why I said "if everyone has a laptop *anyway*". I completely agree that you want people thinking together and not multitasking. Having people look at the notes on their laptops is preferable to having them read their e-mail on their laptops.

                  I like having a projector (or other visible-to-all method) so people can complain if something doesn't get noted that they think should be.

                  And, of course, "everybody" may include people who aren't in the same room at all.

                  scott

                  > sepreece wrote:
                  > > If you've got a projector in the room, or everybody has a laptop
                  > > anyway, entering the notes in real time into a wiki page can work
                  > > well, especially if you have a proficient note-taker (like most
                  > > things, not everybody is good at it).
                  >
                  > Scott, I disagree strongly with this. It would be much better to take
                  > no notes, but have everyone paying full attention. Multitasking like
                  > this is really insidious.
                  >
                  > - George
                  >
                  > --

                • Ilja Preuß
                  Message 9 of 11 , Jun 22, 2009
                    In our SoS, the attendees take notes for their teams, and use them when reporting back. After all, they should be in a better position to decide which information is relevant for their team.

                    The Scrum Master taking notes and distributing them sounds like a potential impediment to self-organization to me. I'd also fear that it takes away focus from his facilitation role.

                    2009/6/18 joel.feldman <jfeldman@...>

                    Assuming we continue with this, I am thinking about suggesting that instead of the scrum master taking notes, have round table participants enter their updates into a shared Google spreadsheet before each scrum (offloads scrum master, has team members have more ownership).

                    Yes, the ownership issue feels very important to me. I'm sure there are a myriad of other solutions that do it, for example simply having one of the other attendees taking the notes and distributing them.

                    Cheers, Ilja
                  • Ilja Preuß
                    Message 10 of 11 , Jun 22, 2009
                      2009/6/21 sepreece <sepreece@...>
                      I like having a projector (or other visible-to-all method) so people can complain if something doesn't get noted that they think should be.

                      That's the beauty of a whiteboard - instead of just complaining, they can actually take responsibility for fixing it directly.

                      Cheers, Ilja
                    • joel.feldman
                      Message 11 of 11 , Jun 24, 2009
                        Thanks for everyone's input on this question. There was good variety of approaches to consider and try.