Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: What does Jeff Sutherland mean by READY?

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 17, 2009
      For what it's worth, I like to have teams do enough story level
      estimates for the upcoming couple sprints at least. (Some may feel a
      need to estimate even more of the backlog stories, and that's ok if not
      taken to extreme & turned into BDUF.)

      But these are just the story points estimates that you do quickly, using
      planning poker. It typically takes around 5 minutes per story. Then at
      the sprint planning meeting, we break those into tasks that are small
      enough for us to see movement every day or so. In other words, break
      stories into tasks of 8 hours or less. No big deal if some are bigger
      but they shouldn't be bigger than 2 days.

      By doing it this way, the product owner & stakeholders have enough
      future work "priced" to enable them to be deciding what they really want
      the team to do next. Without story point estimates on the stories, they
      are prioritizing with key info missing. That's going to force them to
      revisit a lot of their thinking.

      - njv

      jmilunsky wrote:
      > most people I believe now agree that estimating should be done ahead of time if possible. Folks like Ken Schwaber suggest allocating 10% of teams time towards this effort.
      >
      > It just makes the planning meeting that much more effective.
      >
      > twitter.com/agilebuddy
      > blog.agilebuddy.com
      >
      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "mdlmmdlm" <mdlmmdlm@...> wrote:
      >> In Sutherland's latest Nokia Test presentation
      >> (http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/nokiatest.pdf) he writes (on page 6):
      >> "Product owner with clear product backlog estimated by team before
      >> Sprint Planning meeting (READY) - 5"
      >>
      >> Can someone explain what this means?
      >>

      >> * Is READY an acronym? If so, what is it an acronym for?
      >> * I have heard Sutherland say that the team should spend 10% of its time
      >> during a Sprint discussing the product backlog items for the next Sprint
      >> with the PO. However, I have never heard anyone say that the backlog
      >> should be estimated before the planning meeting. Is that what he is
      >> saying here? If this is the case (i.e., the product owner shows up to
      >> the meeting with a prioritized, estimated backlog), what happens in the
      >> planning meeting?

      Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.

      781 301 1822 US mobile
      nancyv@...

      http://www.leanagilepartners.com

      Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
      and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide