Re: Distributed Teams - Better Communication

  • Lang Tran
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2009
      I second this observation. I haven't been doing agile for very long and my first experience is with a distributed team. But I do have a good coach and he emphasized the need for the team to meet face-to-face.

      If I had an unlimited budget, I would have co-located them for a month. Unfortunately, that was not the case so I we had face-to-face for the first couple sprints planning/review/retrospective meetings. Then I planned to taper off in the middle sprints, and then increase a little bit towards the end sprints of the project. Everyone found the face-to-face meetings extremely valuable. And it's important that the whole team is together: developers, testers, BA, PO, SM, etc.

      I say planned because unfortunately, the project was put on hold since it was a pilot. It wasn't because the project was failing, in fact we were making significant progress and beginning to really hit our stride. Unfortunately, some higher priority projects (read waterfall) sucked up all available resources into it vortex of pain. Can't wait to get it started again.

      Lang