RE: [scrumdevelopment] Difference between Scrum and PMBok/Prince2

  • Paul Hudson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15 8:03 AM

      Ø  .  Scrum guides projects, it does not manage them.  Self-organized teams do the "management" stuff.  This is in direct conflict with traditional approaches such as Prince2.

      I think there’s quite a lot of Prince2 that can work just fine with Scrum, especially the non-software-development areas of a project. Also, there’s no reason why a work-package (in Prince2) shouldn’t be the results of a sprint. Scrum nicely covers the process of producing a series of work –packages, from that perspective, and the aim for continual improvement (which Prince2 doesn’t have a lot to say about).

      Prince2 is a much misunderstood (and much misapplied) methodology. Apply everything the book tells you without thinking, and you’ve got a bureaucratic monster. Apply what makes sense and tailor it (as the Prince2 book tells you to!), and it’s a pragmatic approach that works well in many circumstances, including, in my opinion, Scrum,