RE: [scrumdevelopment] do you still have a backlog and burndown chart after the delivery of all items?

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009
      Bummer :) Yes, I understand. Government departments and ministries can be painful that way.

      Just for people's interest here, (I don't know the full details yet) but I have been told that the Government of Thailand has allocated funds to support the use of agile methods (including specifically Scrum, XP ) in Thao organisations. This seems to be quite a major initiative. A professor from my university (with whom I work quite closely) in Thailand has been given funds to invite 3 agile 'illuminaries' to visit Thailand at the end of the year to provide seminars and courses.

      So ... interesting moves.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: rafferty.uy@...
      Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:43:47 +0800
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] do you still have a backlog and burndown chart after the delivery of all items?

      To answer it simply... our client is an MNC which means that there are layers of testing and approval that they want to do before officially accepting our delivered product. Yes, it's inefficient, but what can we do?

      Regards,

      Rafferty D. Uy
      Software Engineer @ ease solutions Pte. Ltd.
      MBA Student @ National University of Singapore

      "Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe."
      ~ Gail Devers (3-time Olympic 100m Champion)

      On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com> wrote:

      Why do the users need 2-3 weeks to provide that feedback? HAve they been involved in regular demonstrations and feeback sessions after each sprint? If so, again I ask, why do they need 2-3 weeks more to provide feedback? If they were not involved on that frequent and regular basis, why not?

      I sometimes think of the analogy of building a brick wall around my garden, with daily inspections and approvals of location, design, brick selection etc. Inspecting and talking to the builder every day means that I am totally up to speed on what is happening, and there are no nasty surprises (that is, no more than can be sprung on me after one day's activity). So, when that last brick is put in place, I have a wall. That is the big difference between having a wall under construction  and having a wall - one brick. I do not need a long time to evaluate the wall to see if it meets my needs and requirements.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: rafferty.uy@gmail.com
      Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:11:47 +0800

      Hi,

      We have finished all backlog items and have delivered the "release candidate" to our client.
      Now, for the next 2-3 weeks, we basically just wait for their feedback and do minor reworks, if needed.
      Our time will now be spent on a different project while waiting for our client's feedback.

      So, what happens to our product backlog and burndown chart? Do you:
      (a) Complete all backlog items and so the burndown chart has reached its bottom level? or
      (b) Do you leave an item like "customer feedback" with an estimate of 2-3 weeks (in points of course)?

      It seems to me that keeping this process of maintaining the backlog and burndown chart at this stage is just a waste of time. But I could be wrong...

      What do you think?

      Regards,

      Rafferty D. Uy
      Software Engineer @ ease solutions Pte. Ltd.
      MBA Student @ National University of Singapore

      "Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe."
      ~ Gail Devers (3-time Olympic 100m Champion)

      Make ninemsn your homepage! Get the latest news, goss and sport

      Find your next place with Ninemsn property Looking for a place to rent, share or buy this winter?