Re: help on a successful Scrum of Scrums

  • joel.feldman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
      George,

      For "What's happening that you don't want to happen?":

      The biggest concern is managing discussion topics as they come up. What is the criteria for when a topic should be discussed in the SoS and when should it be handled offline? Should topics be handled "in-line" as they come up? Should we defer them to a "parking lot" to be handled after the round table?

      Also of concern is guidelines for what content and how much detail is appropriate to share in the roundtable.

      For: "And in what ways /is/ it working for you?":

      The SoS is pretty effective when we are reaching some release milestones where we are trying to get down to a shortlist of 'blocking issues' and coordinate that.

      > joel.feldman wrote:
      > > Our company has been running a Scrum of Scrums for 10 teams now for
      > > over a year. It typically runs 30-45 minutes 4 days a week (skip
      > > Wednesday). We are not entirely satisfied with our results.
      >
      > What do you mean by "not entirely satisfied?"
      > * What's happening that you don't want to happen?
      > * What's not happening that you'd like to have happen?
      > * And in what ways /is/ it working for you?
      >
      > - George
      >
      > --

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
        joel.feldman wrote:
        > George,
        >
        > For "What's happening that you don't want to happen?":
        >
        > The biggest concern is managing discussion topics as they come up.
        > What is the criteria for when a topic should be discussed in the SoS
        > and when should it be handled offline? Should topics be handled
        > "in-line" as they come up? Should we defer them to a "parking lot" to
        > be handled after the round table?
        >
        > Also of concern is guidelines for what content and how much detail is
        > appropriate to share in the roundtable.

        These things are always a balancing act, but it seems that the same
        guidelines fit the SoS as do the team scrum. The issues that come up
        should be discussed just enough to identify who is concerned. These
        people then agree to discuss the details after the SoS.

        Or am I missing the essence of your problem? Somehow this doesn't seem
        to reach the core of "not entirely satisfied."

        - George

      • joel.feldman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2009
          We've applied regular Scrum rules: Our scrum leader is applying more discipline to our discussions (moving them to post-roundtable) and being more efficient of who has to stay for them. That has made a pretty positive impact. Thanks George.
        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2009
            joel.feldman wrote:
            > We've applied regular Scrum rules: Our scrum leader is applying more
            > discipline to our discussions (moving them to post-roundtable) and
            > being more efficient of who has to stay for them. That has made a
            > pretty positive impact. Thanks George.

            Cool! I'm glad it's working for you.

            - George