RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Performance Reviews/Job Descriptions in an Agile Environment

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 2 1:15 AM
      The literature on organisational re-engineering by Champy and others suggested that a radical approach was best - a complete eradication of the current situation and revolutionary implementation of the new. Not an evolutionary approach, a small step at a time.

      Such a revolutionary approach demonstrates commitment to the new path forward. A 'small step at a time' is a hesitant and unconvinced approach.

      But clearly most organisations are hesitant and unconvinced; GM for example. And look where that got them - private executive jets to Washington with their begging bowls carefully stashed in their embossed, monogrammed brief cases, and ultimately bankruptcy and the destruction of a once prominent organisation - 'What's good for GM is good for America' (did I get that the right way round?). So the revolutionary approach ultimatley had to prevail.

      We have seen so many examples over the last 18 months of thousand dollar suits ultimately being seen as 'the emperor has no clothes' with the largest destruction of wealth in modern history, caused ultimately by those mega-salaried fools.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: iljapreuss@...
      Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:05:51 +0200
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Performance Reviews/Job Descriptions in an Agile Environment

      2009/6/1 George Dinwiddie <lists@idiacomputing .com>:
      > ran.nyman wrote:
      >> Hi Ilja,
      >>
      >> Semco is excellent example how to change company. Sack most of
      >> managers that are going to resist the change and build new culture
      >> with new managers. Unfortunately that is not option for me;)
      >>
      >> Would there be other way that is not so radical to get rid of PP&D
      >> processes?
      >
      > Ran, change happens one person at a time.

      And one small step at a time, typically.

      > I recommend the Amplifying
      > Your Effectiveness conference (http://ayeconferenc e.com) for some
      > approaches that might help you.

      The book "Fearless Change" mit be of interest, too.

      Cheers, Ilja

      Click Here View photos of singles in your area
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 2 3:25 AM
        Hi Roy,

        > Well, if there is no commitment, then that is the ultimate hesitancy. If
        > there is no commitment, small steps at a time will not happen anyway.

        True.

        It's possible to generate commitment, though, and in my experience
        often much easier to generate commitment to the next small experiment
        than to a revolutionary overhaul.

        That's not to say that I'm against revolutionary overhauls. I'd like
        to be part of one at some point. I just don't see them happen very
        often. And still, I do see change.

        Cheers, Ilja