help on a successful Scrum of Scrums

  • joel.feldman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
      Our company has been running a Scrum of Scrums for 10 teams now for over a year. It typically runs 30-45 minutes 4 days a week (skip Wednesday). We are not entirely satisfied with our results. We know that there are differing views on time format (see quote below from Mike Cohn).

      We'd be interested on hearing from other companies on what has gone well in your Scrum of Scrums.

      "My preference is to hold potentially longer meetings less frequently. I find that two or three times a week is often sufficient. This makes a Tuesday-Thursday or Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule appropriate. While a scrum of scrums meeting will often be completed in fifteen minutes as Schwaber suggests, I recommend blocking thirty or sixty minutes for them on the calendar. Here's why: A common rule about daily scrum meetings is that they are not for problem solving; if a problem is identified it is usually addressed after the daily scrum (often immediately after). This rule doesn't apply to scrum of scrums meetings. If a problem is identified and the right people to address that problem are together, they should address it then and there. A problem that has risen to the attention of the scrum of scrums meeting participants is often a significant problem that could be affecting the work of up to 100 people. It deserves to be addressed and, if possible, resolved in that meeting. Therefore, while many scrum of scrums meetings will be over in fifteen minutes, always budget more time to address potential problems."
      Mike Cohn
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
        joel.feldman wrote:
        > Our company has been running a Scrum of Scrums for 10 teams now for
        > over a year. It typically runs 30-45 minutes 4 days a week (skip
        > Wednesday). We are not entirely satisfied with our results.

        What do you mean by "not entirely satisfied?"
        * What's happening that you don't want to happen?
        * What's not happening that you'd like to have happen?
        * And in what ways /is/ it working for you?

        - George

      • Cenk Çivici
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
          Following was what we used to do in my previous project.

          1. A big standup of about a hundred people. This is a chance where you
          can make general announcements. Takes about 5 mins.
          2. After the big standup each team( about 10-12 people) stands in
          front of their story boards and does a usual standup. Takes about 15
          mins max
          3. After the team standups, most of the people start working except
          people like tech leads e.g . They do another standup to share
          information between teams..

          Cheers
          Cenk

          On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:54 PM, George Dinwiddie
          <lists@...> wrote:

          > joel.feldman wrote:
          >> Our company has been running a Scrum of Scrums for 10 teams now for
          >> over a year. It typically runs 30-45 minutes 4 days a week (skip
          >> Wednesday). We are not entirely satisfied with our results.
          >
          > What do you mean by "not entirely satisfied?"
          > * What's happening that you don' t want to happen?
          > * What's not happening that you'd like to have happen?
          > * And in what ways /is/ it working for you?
          >
          > - George
          >
          > --

        • joel.feldman
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
            George,

            For "What's happening that you don't want to happen?":

            The biggest concern is managing discussion topics as they come up. What is the criteria for when a topic should be discussed in the SoS and when should it be handled offline? Should topics be handled "in-line" as they come up? Should we defer them to a "parking lot" to be handled after the round table?

            Also of concern is guidelines for what content and how much detail is appropriate to share in the roundtable.

            For: "And in what ways /is/ it working for you?":

            The SoS is pretty effective when we are reaching some release milestones where we are trying to get down to a shortlist of 'blocking issues' and coordinate that.

            > joel.feldman wrote:
            > > Our company has been running a Scrum of Scrums for 10 teams now for
            > > over a year. It typically runs 30-45 minutes 4 days a week (skip
            > > Wednesday). We are not entirely satisfied with our results.
            >
            > What do you mean by "not entirely satisfied?"
            > * What's happening that you don't want to happen?
            > * What's not happening that you'd like to have happen?
            > * And in what ways /is/ it working for you?
            >
            > - George
            >
            > --

          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
              joel.feldman wrote:
              > George,
              >
              > For "What's happening that you don't want to happen?":
              >
              > The biggest concern is managing discussion topics as they come up.
              > What is the criteria for when a topic should be discussed in the SoS
              > and when should it be handled offline? Should topics be handled
              > "in-line" as they come up? Should we defer them to a "parking lot" to
              > be handled after the round table?
              >
              > Also of concern is guidelines for what content and how much detail is
              > appropriate to share in the roundtable.

              These things are always a balancing act, but it seems that the same
              guidelines fit the SoS as do the team scrum. The issues that come up
              should be discussed just enough to identify who is concerned. These
              people then agree to discuss the details after the SoS.

              Or am I missing the essence of your problem? Somehow this doesn't seem
              to reach the core of "not entirely satisfied."

              - George

            • joel.feldman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2009
                We've applied regular Scrum rules: Our scrum leader is applying more discipline to our discussions (moving them to post-roundtable) and being more efficient of who has to stay for them. That has made a pretty positive impact. Thanks George.
              • George Dinwiddie
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 9, 2009
                  joel.feldman wrote:
                  > We've applied regular Scrum rules: Our scrum leader is applying more
                  > discipline to our discussions (moving them to post-roundtable) and
                  > being more efficient of who has to stay for them. That has made a
                  > pretty positive impact. Thanks George.

                  Cool! I'm glad it's working for you.

                  - George