Agile/Scrum/Lean for hardware

  • Joseph Little
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2009
      Hi,

      I have a client that is concerned about how applicable Agile is for hardware.  Do you have experience?

      Please also cross-post any replies to here:  AgileBusiness@yahoogroups.com

      I won't reveal yet exactly what kind of hardware. It is hardware the includes firmware and software before delivery as a product.

      My client is particularly looking for people who have done this, their experiences, and what worked and maybe did not work from Agile/Scrum/Lean.  Color them reasonable skeptics.

      Thanks, Joe

      Joseph Little
      Agile Coach, MBA, CST
      Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
      704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
      917-887-1669 (cell)
      http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/
      http://leanagiletraining.com
      Blog: Agile & Business (Google that)

    • Peter Stevens
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi Joe,

        Well, I have a customer who asked same . The hardest thing thing to get
        a grip on is what should the product backlog contain? Hardware doesn't
        break down so easily into features that can be implemented incrementally...

        Cheers,

        Peter

        Joseph Little wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a client that is concerned about how applicable Agile is for
        > hardware. Do you have experience?
        >
        > Please also cross-post any replies to here:
        > AgileBusiness@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > I won't reveal yet exactly what kind of hardware. It is hardware the
        > includes firmware and software before delivery as a product.
        >
        > My client is particularly looking for people who have done this, their
        > experiences, and what worked and maybe did not work from
        > Agile/Scrum/Lean. Color them reasonable skeptics.
        >
        > Thanks, Joe
        >

        > Joseph Little
        > Agile Coach, MBA, CST
        > Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
        > 704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
        > 917-887-1669 (cell)
        > http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/
        > <http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/> http://leanagiletraining.com
        > <http://leanagiletraining.com/>Blog: Agile & Business (Google that)

      • Kurt Häusler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
          Depends on whether you were talking about the design, or the manufacture
          of hardware, and what sort of hardware.

          Incremental and iterative development of software basically relies on
          the fact that software differs from hardware in that its less expensive
          to change, and demonstratable exemplars of the current design state are
          very cheap to produce, (clicking on the compile button and waiting a few
          weeks vs sending plans off to the workshop and waiting days or weeks for
          something physical to demonstrate.)

          If you are making simple electronic hardware devices, you can possibly
          effectively use the prototyping boards (basically circuit boards that
          are wired together with moveable wires rather than printed) to present
          the latest iteration of a product, albeit in functional prototype form
          rather than "done done". Or perhaps a each iteration could present
          several prototypes, the electronic team could produce a functional but
          ugly prototype, and the design team could produce a nice looking empty
          case each iteration, if the production of one-off design prototypes are
          not too expensive. I have worked for a company making powerline modems,
          and the electronic developers were able to demonstrate functionality,
          and help test firmware and software with their prototype boards
          basically on demand.

          Development of custom chips or robotic hardware for example would (I
          imagine, I have no experience in those areas) present challenges to the
          ability to regularly demonstrate functionality.

          On the other hand, complicated hardware, like cars for example, are
          probably better suited to BDUF, or at least a lot less of an iterative
          design process than software. I have worked for a car manufacturer
          before, on a project involving on board bus systems, and I know some of
          these bus devices can be developed and demonstrated using functional
          prototypes but I have no idea how things work when it comes to the whole
          car.

          But from what I know (very little) about the development of electronic
          hardware products, your engineers should probably already know whether
          they can use hardware prototypes during development or not, and whether
          or not they can be used to regularly and frequently demonstrate
          functionality.

          If you are talking about manufacture of hardware rather than design,
          well lean has been active in that area longer than it has in software.

          Otherwise you might be better off asking in a forum more focussed on the
          specific area of relevance.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
            Kurt Häusler wrote:

            > exemplars of the current design state are very cheap to produce,
            > (clicking on the compile button and waiting a few weeks vs sending
            > plans off to the workshop and waiting
            Clicking on the compile button and waiting seconds I meant of course...
          • Mark Levison
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
              Hi - Joe - I don't have any direct experience in this myself. However responding to questions from my brother in law and a friend I did a survey in December: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2008/12/agile-for-hardware-and-embedded-systems.html

              From what I can see the hardware side approaches the limits of anyones current experience.

              If you have an interesting Lean/Agile Embedded/Hardware stories - I might know of a place or two that would be interested in an article.

              Cheers
              Mark

              On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Joseph Little <jhlittle@...> wrote:

              Hi,

              I have a client that is concerned about how applicable Agile is for hardware.  Do you have experience?

              Please also cross-post any replies to here:  AgileBusiness@yahoogroups.com

              I won't reveal yet exactly what kind of hardware. It is hardware the includes firmware and software before delivery as a product.

              My client is particularly looking for people who have done this, their experiences, and what worked and maybe did not work from Agile/Scrum/Lean.  Color them reasonable skeptics.

              Thanks, Joe

              Joseph Little
              Agile Coach, MBA, CST
              Kitty Hawk Consulting, Inc.
              704-376-8881 (Charlotte)
              917-887-1669 (cell)
              http://www.kittyhawkconsulting.com/
              http://leanagiletraining.com
              Blog: Agile & Business (Google that)

              Mark Levison - Agile/Lean Transition Coach ||Agile Editor @ InfoQ ||
              613-862-2538 (cell) || Twitter || Blog Recent Entries:
              Acceptance Test Tools for Web Apps || Do You Suspect You Have a Less than Productive Person on Your Team?