RE: [scrumdevelopment] RE: Agile Software Development Revolution

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002

      You’re right, Mike!

      I’ve heard that quote before and it is totally appropriate in this case as well.

      It already seems like “agile” has become the decade’s new buzzword.

      I guess the worthwhile innovations have weathered their buzzword periods—certainly OO surpassed buzzword status. Hopefully agile does the same.

      Even someone who dumps RUP for “lighter RUP” or some of the less-agile of the agile methods (e.g., FDD) is taking a step in the right direction. If people convert to those types of methodologies for a few years they may then be more willing to hear the true gospel of agile and go all the way—that would certainly fit with your comment that we may be facing a 20-30 year absorption.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002

        Mike—

        The differences you describe here are perfect.

        Somewhat to Mary’s point about needing to trust managers, though, sometimes this isn’t the manager’s or ScrumMaster’s fault. I am working with a team right now that is slowly becoming accustomed to Scrum but I think they’re so used to having tasks assigned to them they are uncomfortable when I don’t tell them what task is next. I probably go a little further than you and Ken describe in your book in helping the team figure out what moves into the Sprint Backlog but I don’t tell them at all what order in which to work on things. It’s taken a few months with this team to convince them that I am not “checking up” on them in daily scrums and that the main purpose of the meeting is to make commitments to each other and for me to find out about impediments. They are coming around but they are nervous about the additional control and responsibility that ends up on their shoulders.

        This team also had a hard time of buying into the full “the product must be shippable”. One way I’ve got them around that (almost completely now) is to introduce the idea of a “stabilization sprint”. This was just a sprint with no new coding but just a catching up on testing application. Not a good idea in some situations but in this one it made sense (this was a team of 4 people who were left after 80 of their coworkers were fired and they are continuing on with work started by the 84 person team—that’s the type of project that needs extra “stabilization”).

        --Mike

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15, 2002
          Now that I'm back from Ireland, I can add a little bodhran accompaniment
          :-)!

          http://www.ifccsa.org/bodhran.html

        • Peter McGowan
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15, 2002
            Did you bring one back with you? If we ever meet up, we can play a reel or
            a jig and drink a pint together!

            Keep the wrist lose,
            Peter

            > Now that I'm back from Ireland, I can add a little bodhran accompaniment
            > :-)!
            >
            > http://www.ifccsa.org/bodhran.html
            >

            > Ken Schwaber wrote:
            >
            > >MIke,
            > >Linda Rising is the bard and songstress of agile. I hope she takes these
            > >from village to village so people understand better.
            > >Ken

          • Linda Rising

              Ken Schwaber wrote:

              MIke,
              Linda Rising is the bard and songstress of agile. I hope she takes these
              >from village to village so people understand better.
              Ken

              the intellectual baggage of _defined_ processes
              carried over from previous lives, projects, related
              experience, and education causes for most
              metaphor-block and dysfunctional translation.
              (What a challenge we have ahead of us!!!)

              That's why it is so important to have good mentors,
              experienced Scrum masters, and experienced developers,
              that understand, at least in a tacit way that there
              is a _fundamental_ difference of Agile vs. Traditional
              (defined) software development.

              Also, just like Ken said, I'll have to add these ones
              to the next Gantt chart I see:

              Task 3: Have teams self-organize, 3 days
              Task 4: Allow requirements to emerge, 5 days

              :-) :-) ;-)

              And I'll eve add a few more:

              Task 5: Turn the Management pyramid upside down
              Task 6: Adopt Agile Values

              More relevant to Scrum, and to continue the parody above,
              I often see trained Team Leaders and Managers
              walking into the Scrum meeting assigning tasks and
              expecting direct reports like (to continue the parody):

              "Your _assigned_ task yesterday was to adopt the
              Agile Values, were you able to do that?

              No?!!

              _You are having issues again_. _Report_
              to me your any progress you are able to make
              by tomorrow."

              They think that management _asigns_ tasks, that it
              is developers who have issues to resolve, and that
              developers should _report_ back to them in the morning.

              What we mean in Scrum is:

              Let me hear how things went and see how we, the
              team, can help you

              Let me hear any issues you have that go beyond
              your control so I can help you

              and

              Let me hear what new tasks _you are choosing_ to
              work on next and see how we, the team, can help you

              instead of:

              I assign tasks to you every day

              you must tell me the issues you may have and
              solve them

              and

              you report to me every day

              (Definitely NOT the spirit of Scrum)

              Attitude for the most part is what makes Scrum different than
              micromanagement and Master/Slave direct management and
              reporting,

              - Mike

              Save on REALTOR Fees
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/9EfwlB/TM