Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Performance Reviews/Job Descriptions in an Agile Environment

  • Pablo Emanuel
    Message 1 of 47 , May 28, 2009
      If you want a short and sweet book, I recommend "The One Minute Manager" (oops, I wrote the M word).

      2009/5/28 David H. <dmalloc@...>
      2009/5/28 pm_skier <dcdoel@...>:

      > Zac,
      >
      > You may want to take a look at Abolishing Performance Appraisals: Why
      > They Backfire and What to Do Instead by Tom Coens, Mary Jenkins and
      > Peter Block. The authors do a great job in identifying the flaws in
      > the assumptions regarding performance appraisals. They also offer
      > alternative approaches as well as how to make the transition to a better
      > state. Although the book doesn't specifically address agile teams
      > their approaches align with advice that has been offered on this topic
      > in the past.

      I concur, this would have been one of the books that I would have
      suggested you read.

      -d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 2, 2009
        Hi Roy,

        > Well, if there is no commitment, then that is the ultimate hesitancy. If
        > there is no commitment, small steps at a time will not happen anyway.

        True.

        It's possible to generate commitment, though, and in my experience
        often much easier to generate commitment to the next small experiment
        than to a revolutionary overhaul.

        That's not to say that I'm against revolutionary overhauls. I'd like
        to be part of one at some point. I just don't see them happen very
        often. And still, I do see change.

        Cheers, Ilja