Performance Reviews/Job Descriptions in an Agile Environment

  • zachary.spencer@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 47 , May 27, 2009
      At the company I'm working at, we're trying to figure out how to integrate Agile into our Performance Reviews and Job Descriptions.

      For instance, right now we have Job Descriptions for "Developer" and "Web Developer" and "User Experience" and "Quality Assurance" etc. but with the agile approach to teams and the first rule of Agile is no one has a title, I'd like our approach to Performance Reviews and Job Descriptions to match that.

      Right now I've considered building "Dossiers" for each of the people on my team, including lists of skills that they've demonstrated and rating them on each of those. This way as the team demonstrates it's cross functionality I can have a document stating which skills they each have, and then use this document in my monthly "Performance Check Ups."

      So it would look something like this

      Foo Barr
      Product Team A
      Skills: PHP (5), HTML(3), CSS(2), OOP(4), Unit Testing(2), Bug Diagnosis(2), C(3), Python(4), etc.

      Thoughts? Better ideas?
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 2, 2009
        Hi Roy,

        > Well, if there is no commitment, then that is the ultimate hesitancy. If
        > there is no commitment, small steps at a time will not happen anyway.

        True.

        It's possible to generate commitment, though, and in my experience
        often much easier to generate commitment to the next small experiment
        than to a revolutionary overhaul.

        That's not to say that I'm against revolutionary overhauls. I'd like
        to be part of one at some point. I just don't see them happen very
        often. And still, I do see change.

        Cheers, Ilja