Re: Agile Software Development Revolution

  • mpoppendieck
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002
      I have a couple of observations.

      Observation 1:

      Every movement I know of – Just-in-Time, Quality, Lean
      Manufacturing, Theory of Constraints, you name it – has been
      misunderstood and misapplied by people who size on a piece of the
      message. People looking for a formula or sliver bullet always
      seem to miss the fundamentals. At the core, every one of these
      movements focuses on team empowerment, providing customer value, and
      moving from a parochial to a holistic view of the system. In every
      case, these `movements' emphasize that the manager must act
      as a coach, provide training, and help the team understand and
      achieve overall business value.

      If these very worthy paradigm shifts are mis-applied more often than
      used correctly, why would we think that agile development would be
      immune from the same fate?

      Observation 2:

      I worry about stereotyping managers as people who assign tasks and
      check that they are done. I know many managers who understand their
      role to be coaching, training, supporting, and providing a valuable
      business mission to an empowered team. Okay, so most of them are in
      operations or product development, but that just goes to show the
      JIT/TQM/Lean/TOC movements have had some positive impact.

      We can't influence people who feel we do not respect them.

      Mary Poppendieck
      www.LeanProgramming.com
    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002

        You’re right, Mike!

        I’ve heard that quote before and it is totally appropriate in this case as well.

        It already seems like “agile” has become the decade’s new buzzword.

        I guess the worthwhile innovations have weathered their buzzword periods—certainly OO surpassed buzzword status. Hopefully agile does the same.

        Even someone who dumps RUP for “lighter RUP” or some of the less-agile of the agile methods (e.g., FDD) is taking a step in the right direction. If people convert to those types of methodologies for a few years they may then be more willing to hear the true gospel of agile and go all the way—that would certainly fit with your comment that we may be facing a 20-30 year absorption.

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002

          Mike—

          The differences you describe here are perfect.

          Somewhat to Mary’s point about needing to trust managers, though, sometimes this isn’t the manager’s or ScrumMaster’s fault. I am working with a team right now that is slowly becoming accustomed to Scrum but I think they’re so used to having tasks assigned to them they are uncomfortable when I don’t tell them what task is next. I probably go a little further than you and Ken describe in your book in helping the team figure out what moves into the Sprint Backlog but I don’t tell them at all what order in which to work on things. It’s taken a few months with this team to convince them that I am not “checking up” on them in daily scrums and that the main purpose of the meeting is to make commitments to each other and for me to find out about impediments. They are coming around but they are nervous about the additional control and responsibility that ends up on their shoulders.

          This team also had a hard time of buying into the full “the product must be shippable”. One way I’ve got them around that (almost completely now) is to introduce the idea of a “stabilization sprint”. This was just a sprint with no new coding but just a catching up on testing application. Not a good idea in some situations but in this one it made sense (this was a team of 4 people who were left after 80 of their coworkers were fired and they are continuing on with work started by the 84 person team—that’s the type of project that needs extra “stabilization”).

          --Mike

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15, 2002
            Now that I'm back from Ireland, I can add a little bodhran accompaniment
            :-)!

            http://www.ifccsa.org/bodhran.html

          • Peter McGowan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 15, 2002
              Did you bring one back with you? If we ever meet up, we can play a reel or
              a jig and drink a pint together!

              Keep the wrist lose,
              Peter

              > Now that I'm back from Ireland, I can add a little bodhran accompaniment
              > :-)!
              >
              > http://www.ifccsa.org/bodhran.html
              >

              > Ken Schwaber wrote:
              >
              > >MIke,
              > >Linda Rising is the bard and songstress of agile. I hope she takes these
              > >from village to village so people understand better.
              > >Ken

            • Linda Rising

                Ken Schwaber wrote:

                MIke,
                Linda Rising is the bard and songstress of agile. I hope she takes these
                >from village to village so people understand better.
                Ken

                the intellectual baggage of _defined_ processes
                carried over from previous lives, projects, related
                experience, and education causes for most
                metaphor-block and dysfunctional translation.
                (What a challenge we have ahead of us!!!)

                That's why it is so important to have good mentors,
                experienced Scrum masters, and experienced developers,
                that understand, at least in a tacit way that there
                is a _fundamental_ difference of Agile vs. Traditional
                (defined) software development.

                Also, just like Ken said, I'll have to add these ones
                to the next Gantt chart I see:

                Task 3: Have teams self-organize, 3 days
                Task 4: Allow requirements to emerge, 5 days

                :-) :-) ;-)

                And I'll eve add a few more:

                Task 5: Turn the Management pyramid upside down
                Task 6: Adopt Agile Values

                More relevant to Scrum, and to continue the parody above,
                I often see trained Team Leaders and Managers
                walking into the Scrum meeting assigning tasks and
                expecting direct reports like (to continue the parody):

                "Your _assigned_ task yesterday was to adopt the
                Agile Values, were you able to do that?

                No?!!

                _You are having issues again_. _Report_
                to me your any progress you are able to make
                by tomorrow."

                They think that management _asigns_ tasks, that it
                is developers who have issues to resolve, and that
                developers should _report_ back to them in the morning.

                What we mean in Scrum is:

                Let me hear how things went and see how we, the
                team, can help you

                Let me hear any issues you have that go beyond
                your control so I can help you

                and

                Let me hear what new tasks _you are choosing_ to
                work on next and see how we, the team, can help you

                instead of:

                I assign tasks to you every day

                you must tell me the issues you may have and
                solve them

                and

                you report to me every day

                (Definitely NOT the spirit of Scrum)

                Attitude for the most part is what makes Scrum different than
                micromanagement and Master/Slave direct management and
                reporting,

                - Mike

                Save on REALTOR Fees
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/9EfwlB/TM