RE: [scrumdevelopment] RE: Agile Software Development Revolution

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002
      Ken wrote:
      > Barry Boehm and a lot of other respected people like
      > him are the worst thing that could happen to agile.
      > They don't get it; they think agile is a task3, task4
      > thing that is really "lightweight", but not something
      > radically new. They are part of the problem, not
      > part of the solution. And it seems that the more we
      > work with them, the more we lose our focus and
      > they redefine agile into "just a small change."

      Ken:

      I didn't have the courage to put it quite on these words,
      but yes, I wholeheartedly agree. If people hear believable
      misconceptions, half truths, or just plain ole illed advice
      from figure heads like:

      * XP can be an instance or RUP

      * Agile processes are _defined_ ETVX processes and
      are CMM compatible

      * Agile processes are just lightweight processes

      * We've done _all_ of this for the last 30 years

      etc.

      Agile will be reduced to whatever else they want and it
      to be, and the agile concept will be so muddled and garbled
      that it will be hard to tell, specially for new comers,
      what Software Agility really is or is not.

      An old quote comes to mind, in 1982, Tim Rentsch said:

      " ...object oriented programming will be in the 1980's
      what structured programming was in the 1970's. Everyone
      will be in favor of it. Every manufacturer will promote
      his products as supporting it. Every manager will pay
      lip service to it. Every programmer will practice it
      (differently). And no one will know just what it is."

      [Rentsch82]
      Nguyen, Van and Hailpern, Brent "A Generalized Object Model",
      ACM SIGPLAN NOTICES, v17, n9 Ed: G. Richard Wexelblat,
      September 1982

      So let me translate it to the agile software development:

      " ...Agile Software Development will be in the 2000's
      what Defined-Process Software Development was in the 1980's.
      Everyone will be in favor of it. Every manufacturer will promote
      his products as supporting it. Every manager will pay
      lip service to it. Every programmer will practice it
      (differently). And no one will know just what it is."

      The scary part is that Rentsch's observations were valid
      also in the 1990's, so if history repeats itself, we are
      talking about an absorption rate of 20-30 years or so,

      - Mike
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002
        MIke,
        Linda Rising is the bard and songstress of agile. I hope she takes these
        from village to village so people understand better.
        Ken

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002
          I have a couple of observations.

          Observation 1:

          Every movement I know of – Just-in-Time, Quality, Lean
          Manufacturing, Theory of Constraints, you name it – has been
          misunderstood and misapplied by people who size on a piece of the
          message. People looking for a formula or sliver bullet always
          seem to miss the fundamentals. At the core, every one of these
          movements focuses on team empowerment, providing customer value, and
          moving from a parochial to a holistic view of the system. In every
          case, these `movements' emphasize that the manager must act
          as a coach, provide training, and help the team understand and
          achieve overall business value.

          If these very worthy paradigm shifts are mis-applied more often than
          used correctly, why would we think that agile development would be
          immune from the same fate?

          Observation 2:

          I worry about stereotyping managers as people who assign tasks and
          check that they are done. I know many managers who understand their
          role to be coaching, training, supporting, and providing a valuable
          business mission to an empowered team. Okay, so most of them are in
          operations or product development, but that just goes to show the
          JIT/TQM/Lean/TOC movements have had some positive impact.

          We can't influence people who feel we do not respect them.

          Mary Poppendieck
          www.LeanProgramming.com
        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002

            You’re right, Mike!

            I’ve heard that quote before and it is totally appropriate in this case as well.

            It already seems like “agile” has become the decade’s new buzzword.

            I guess the worthwhile innovations have weathered their buzzword periods—certainly OO surpassed buzzword status. Hopefully agile does the same.

            Even someone who dumps RUP for “lighter RUP” or some of the less-agile of the agile methods (e.g., FDD) is taking a step in the right direction. If people convert to those types of methodologies for a few years they may then be more willing to hear the true gospel of agile and go all the way—that would certainly fit with your comment that we may be facing a 20-30 year absorption.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 9, 2002

              Mike—

              The differences you describe here are perfect.

              Somewhat to Mary’s point about needing to trust managers, though, sometimes this isn’t the manager’s or ScrumMaster’s fault. I am working with a team right now that is slowly becoming accustomed to Scrum but I think they’re so used to having tasks assigned to them they are uncomfortable when I don’t tell them what task is next. I probably go a little further than you and Ken describe in your book in helping the team figure out what moves into the Sprint Backlog but I don’t tell them at all what order in which to work on things. It’s taken a few months with this team to convince them that I am not “checking up” on them in daily scrums and that the main purpose of the meeting is to make commitments to each other and for me to find out about impediments. They are coming around but they are nervous about the additional control and responsibility that ends up on their shoulders.

              This team also had a hard time of buying into the full “the product must be shippable”. One way I’ve got them around that (almost completely now) is to introduce the idea of a “stabilization sprint”. This was just a sprint with no new coding but just a catching up on testing application. Not a good idea in some situations but in this one it made sense (this was a team of 4 people who were left after 80 of their coworkers were fired and they are continuing on with work started by the 84 person team—that’s the type of project that needs extra “stabilization”).

              --Mike

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 15, 2002
                Now that I'm back from Ireland, I can add a little bodhran accompaniment
                :-)!

                http://www.ifccsa.org/bodhran.html

              • Peter McGowan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 15, 2002
                  Did you bring one back with you? If we ever meet up, we can play a reel or
                  a jig and drink a pint together!

                  Keep the wrist lose,
                  Peter

                  > Now that I'm back from Ireland, I can add a little bodhran accompaniment
                  > :-)!
                  >
                  > http://www.ifccsa.org/bodhran.html
                  >

                  > Ken Schwaber wrote:
                  >
                  > >MIke,
                  > >Linda Rising is the bard and songstress of agile. I hope she takes these
                  > >from village to village so people understand better.
                  > >Ken

                • Linda Rising

                    Ken Schwaber wrote:

                    MIke,
                    Linda Rising is the bard and songstress of agile. I hope she takes these
                    >from village to village so people understand better.
                    Ken

                    the intellectual baggage of _defined_ processes
                    carried over from previous lives, projects, related
                    experience, and education causes for most
                    metaphor-block and dysfunctional translation.
                    (What a challenge we have ahead of us!!!)

                    That's why it is so important to have good mentors,
                    experienced Scrum masters, and experienced developers,
                    that understand, at least in a tacit way that there
                    is a _fundamental_ difference of Agile vs. Traditional
                    (defined) software development.

                    Also, just like Ken said, I'll have to add these ones
                    to the next Gantt chart I see:

                    Task 3: Have teams self-organize, 3 days
                    Task 4: Allow requirements to emerge, 5 days

                    :-) :-) ;-)

                    And I'll eve add a few more:

                    Task 5: Turn the Management pyramid upside down
                    Task 6: Adopt Agile Values

                    More relevant to Scrum, and to continue the parody above,
                    I often see trained Team Leaders and Managers
                    walking into the Scrum meeting assigning tasks and
                    expecting direct reports like (to continue the parody):

                    "Your _assigned_ task yesterday was to adopt the
                    Agile Values, were you able to do that?

                    No?!!

                    _You are having issues again_. _Report_
                    to me your any progress you are able to make
                    by tomorrow."

                    They think that management _asigns_ tasks, that it
                    is developers who have issues to resolve, and that
                    developers should _report_ back to them in the morning.

                    What we mean in Scrum is:

                    Let me hear how things went and see how we, the
                    team, can help you

                    Let me hear any issues you have that go beyond
                    your control so I can help you

                    and

                    Let me hear what new tasks _you are choosing_ to
                    work on next and see how we, the team, can help you

                    instead of:

                    I assign tasks to you every day

                    you must tell me the issues you may have and
                    solve them

                    and

                    you report to me every day

                    (Definitely NOT the spirit of Scrum)

                    Attitude for the most part is what makes Scrum different than
                    micromanagement and Master/Slave direct management and
                    reporting,

                    - Mike

                    Save on REALTOR Fees
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/Xw80LD/h1ZEAA/Ey.GAA/9EfwlB/TM