Scrum Alliance Logo Guidelines

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 4 , May 7, 2009
      Hi All,

      As I mentioned in my last post - the Scrum Alliance has pulled the need for any group to sign an agreement. The initial agreement was meant to only be around the logo, but there was additional text in the agreement which caused quite a bit of confusion.

      The Scrum Alliance would still like to offer user groups the ability to have a customized Scrum Alliance user group logo, like what you see on Amanda's Scrum Club site and others. To offer this, we'll be putting an area for user groups to register on the Scrum Alliance site and to request a logo.

      For groups wishing to use a logo, we'll have posted the following set of guidelines. I'm looking for feedback about them - is it clear to you, as a community member or user group leader, that this only applies to the logo? Would you feel comfortable following guidelines like these if you wanted to use the logo?

      Again remember that we aren't asking anyone to sign anything to agree to these. They'll just be posted when you come to download the logo.

      Feedback is welcome!

      -----------------------------------

      If you would like us to design a customized Scrum Alliance logo for your User Group they may be available to you upon request. The guidelines below describe the manner in which you may use the Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group logo.

      1. Use of the Marks Generally. You may use your localized customized Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group logo subject to the following requirements:

      a. You may not alter, cut apart or otherwise distort the logo in perspective or appearance;

      b. You may not combine the logo with, or incorporate them into, other words, phrases or designs; and

      c. You may not translate the words in the logo into other languages, even if you are using the logo in countries outside of the United States. You can request the Scrum Alliance designing the logo in your local language, language specific logos will be considered on a case by case bases.

      2. Usage Guidelines. The logo may be used only as follows:

      a. You may use the logo on your website and in electronic and printed promotional materials You prepare related to Your user group activities.

      3. Proper Attribution. Attribution of the logo through a footnote:

      "The Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group logo is a service mark of the Scrum Alliance, Inc. and is used with permission."

      4. Prohibited Actions.

      a. Do not change the color, configuration or proportion of the logo in any artwork. The logo may not be combined with, within or in conjunction with a composite mark of other words or designs without authorization from Scrum Alliance.

      b. Get written permission from the Scrum Alliance before you use the logo on any promotional items, such as t-shirts, coffee mugs, or the like.

      -----------------------

      --
      Cory Foy
      Scrum Alliance - Scrum Community Liaison
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2009
        Hi Cory,

        seems quite clear to me, and appropriate.

        Does "Prohibited Actions" need to be it's own section? Seems to me
        that it's "just" additional Usage Guidelines. Especially 4.b seems to
        be more about what I should do, than about what's prohibited (which I
        like), anyway.

        Cheers, Ilja

        2009/5/7 Cory Foy <usergroup@...>:
> [...]
        >
        > 3. Proper Attribution.  Attribution of the logo through a footnote:
        >
        > "The Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group logo is a service mark of the Scrum Alliance, Inc. and is used with permission."
        >
        > 4.  Prohibited Actions.
        >
        > a. Do not change the color, configuration or proportion of the logo in any artwork.   The logo may not be combined with, within or in conjunction with a composite mark of other words or designs without authorization from Scrum Alliance.
        >
        > b. Get written permission from the Scrum Alliance before you use the logo on any promotional items, such as t-shirts, coffee mugs, or the like.
        >
        > -----------------------
        >
        > --
        > Cory Foy
        > Scrum Alliance - Scrum Community Liaison

      • Cory Foy
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2009
          Hi Ilja,

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...> wrote:
          > seems quite clear to me, and appropriate.
          >
          > Does "Prohibited Actions" need to be it's own section? Seems to me
          > that it's "just" additional Usage Guidelines. Especially 4.b seems to
          > be more about what I should do, than about what's prohibited (which I
          > like), anyway.

          Thanks. I'll pass that along.

          Cory
        • Peter Stevens (calendar)
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2009
            Hi Cory,

            First, congratulations on your new role with the Scrum Alliance. A position like yours was long overdue! And this proposal sounds much friendlier than what went out before. Good luck to you, and hats off to the Scrum Alliance for changing course quickly and effectively.

            Regarding the logo concept: The only question I have is about the attribution. Is the attribution required on every file or document which contains the logo? Or is it sufficient to recognize the ownership, say on our home page? I'm thinking mostly about electronic notifications (email) where ensuring compliance might be difficult.

            Cheers,

            Peter

            --
            Cory Foy
            Scrum Alliance - Scrum Community Liaison
            http://www.cornetde sign.com

            --
            Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
            Ken Schwaber CSM Training in Zürich: www.tinyurl.com/Ken-in-ZH