Scrum User Group Info

  • howardsublett
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6 12:47 PM
      Last week, the Scrum Alliance sent out a notice to our registered user groups requesting their agreement to terms of using the Scrum Alliance logo. This caused some confusion in the community, and we apologize. Our goal was not to make it more difficult for the community, but that is what happened.

      The response from the community was swift, passionate and is something that we cherish. We recognize that the community is one of our biggest assets, and we want to ensure that moving forward your voice is heard.

      To make that happen, we are making several changes as an organization:

      1) We've emailed the affected user groups and informed them not to sign a licensing agreement. Instead we will post guidelines for those who wish to use a Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group logo.

      2) We do want to provide, for groups who wish to use them, Scrum Alliance materials. This can include logos, forms, marketing materials and other elements. By the end of this week, we will post a draft of a set of guidelines to the Scrum Development list for how we'll ask groups to use the materials. The guidelines will then be posted on the Scrum Alliance website. We'll also be putting clear guidelines for how to get your group on the Scrum Alliance site, how to request materials and speakers, etc.

      3) We recognize that one benefit we can provide to the community is a common voice and a point of contact that the community can go to whenever questions arise, or concerns need to be heard. To help facilitate this, we've hired Cory Foy as a Community Liaison. I've tasked Cory to build a coalition of community leaders and to serve as that common point of contact for community events and user groups

      4) Finally, we want to make sure that the community understands that we want to serve you. There are several initiatives that we have undertaken as the Scrum Alliance to build and serve the Scrum Community that aren't always visible to the community as a whole. We're going to be working on ways to publicize what we are doing, and how you can get involved in these initiatives.

      I personally want to thank all of you for the wonderful feedback, the constructive criticism, and the passion that you show for Scrum and the Scrum community. I hope that we can work to build and spread Scrum throughout your communities and all over the world. Thank you.

      Regards,

      Jim Cundiff
      Managing Director
      Scrum Alliance
    • Ilja Preuß
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7 2:52 AM
        Hi Jim!

        Thank you very much for this message! Sounds very promising to me!

        Cheers, Ilja

        2009/5/6 howardsublett <hsublett@...>:

        > Last week, the Scrum Alliance sent out a notice to our registered user groups requesting their agreement to terms of using the Scrum Alliance logo. This caused some confusion in the community, and we apologize. Our goal was not to make it more difficult for the community, but that is what happened.
        >
        > The response from the community was swift, passionate and is something that we cherish. We recognize that the community is one of our biggest assets, and we want to ensure that moving forward your voice is heard.
        >
        > To make that happen, we are making several changes as an organization:
        >
        > 1) We've emailed the affected user groups and informed them not to sign a licensing agreement. Instead we will post guidelines for those who wish to use a Scrum Alliance Scrum User Group logo.
        >
        > 2) We do want to provide, for groups who wish to use them, Scrum Alliance materials. This can include logos, forms, marketing materials and other elements. By the end of this week, we will post a draft of a set of guidelines to the Scrum Development list for how we'll ask groups to use the materials. The guidelines will then be posted on the Scrum Alliance website. We'll also be putting clear guidelines for how to get your group on the Scrum Alliance site, how to request materials and speakers, etc.
        >
        > 3) We recognize that one benefit we can provide to the community is a common voice and a point of contact that the community can go to whenever questions arise, or concerns need to be heard. To help facilitate this, we've hired Cory Foy as a Community Liaison. I've tasked Cory to build a coalition of community leaders and to serve as that common point of contact for community events and user groups
        >
        > 4) Finally, we want to make sure that the community understands that we want to serve you. There are several initiatives that we have undertaken as the Scrum Alliance to build and serve the Scrum Community that aren't always visible to the community as a whole. We're going to be working on ways to publicize what we are doing, and how you can get involved in these initiatives.
        >
        > I personally want to thank all of you for the wonderful feedback, the constructive criticism, and the passion that you show for Scrum and the Scrum community. I hope that we can work to build and spread Scrum throughout your communities and all over the world. Thank you.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Jim Cundiff
        > Managing Director
        > Scrum Alliance

      • Cory Foy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7 4:12 AM
          Hi Everyone,

          I wanted to follow up Jim's letter below with some specifics of what is going on, and what to expect.

          The first is the community organizer's list. I've created a mailing list for discussions around organizing Scrum events, and also as an initial place to bounce ideas off the community before bringing them here. If you would be interested in being a part of that, then shoot me an email. The list is at http://groups.google.com/group/scrum-community-organizers. (I'll be sending an invite to the existing user group leader's we have contact information for)

          The reason for a separate mailing list is two-fold. First, I want a place for people organizing events to bounce ideas off of each other that are specific to their needs. Secondly, there may be things that we want to introduce to the community, but aren't allowed to release to the general public.

          This will not be an exclusionary list - if you want to join, then by all means, let me know and I'll make you part of it. By default, we'll announce things directly to this list, or to both lists at the same time, unless there is a specific reason we can't release to the public list first.

          Speaking of email - as the point of contact for the Scrum Alliance to the community and user groups, I want to make myself as available as possible. You can email me any time at either cfoy at scrumalliance dot org, or my normal foyc at cornetdesign dot com.

          Second - I've worked with the Scrum Alliance to issue a set of revised guidelines around the logo that started all of this. I will be posting those to the Scrum Development list in a separate post. As Jim mentioned, we've pulled the agreement, and no group will have to sign an agreement. Further, we've clarified the scope of the guidelines - which I'll explain more in that post.

          Finally, I've already been in contact via phone and email with several community organizers, and I am excited about what we're doing in the community, and the interesting things we have coming up. However, I recognize (and have been in the agile community long enough) that there may be bad blood out there from things and directions the Scrum Alliance may have done or gone in. Jim, Howard, myself and the entire Scrum Alliance are committed to building and listening to the community. So if there are ways we can improve, please feel free to post here, or to contact me directly.

          I thank the Scrum Alliance for the opportunity to help serve the community, but more importantly - thanks to all of you for your passion, responses, and for helping change the software industry.

          --
          Cory Foy
          Scrum Alliance - Scrum Community Liaison