Re: Follow up to the recent trademark incident

  • Paul Oldfield
    Message 1 of 13 , May 3, 2009
      (responding to Howard)

      > ... We recognize that for some Scrum User Groups this
      > agreement will not work. I think within a week we will come up
      > with a better way of getting this done and a framework that
      > will better address all our needs...

      Sounds promising.

      It would be good if a genuine Scrum user group could say what
      they were, even if they don't want to affiliate with Scrum
      Alliance or use the Logo, or pay money for use of the term
      "Scrum User Group". Of course, where I live that's not a
      problem; being able to give a correct description takes
      precedence over any registration of marks, in law. You'd
      be able to register and control "Scrum UsrGroup" for
      example, but not "Scrum User Group". Any genuine Scrum User
      Group would have a very good case in law to be able to use that
      description of themselves, because that's what they are.
      You might register the mark, but you'd have less ability
      to control use of the words from which the mark is made up.

      If you could prove the people describing thamselves as a
      Scrum User Group aren't, then they'd be in a less safe position.

      Paul Oldfield
      Capgemini