Re: Scrum User Group Closes

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 93 , May 2 5:17 PM
      Hi Beckford,

      As others have pointed out, it was published, both here and on the SA site. In addition, I posted a copy of the one that was posted here to http://coryfoy.com/ScrumAgreement.pdf

      > At best this is a PR fiasco for the SA. At worst it smells of something pretty horrid.

      It's not horrid, but it was a goof. I'm working with the SA to correct that.

      > I can't see any good reason why the SA would want to trademark any phrase that included the term "User Group".

      See the last post I made to the group. Basically there is a very good reason why they would that wasn't obvious to me at the time until it was explained.

      I agree with Tobias that we should step back until after the board meets on Monday and I meet with Jim on Tuesday. I think things will clear up after that.

      Cory
    • Peter Stevens (calendar)
      Message 93 of 93 , May 6 12:23 PM
        Hi Mike& Tobias,

        Using the word "team" I was writing a bit metaphorically. The proper word is of course community. In my experience, a community is the ultimate self organizing team -- because they are self motivated.  Command and control does not work well with communities. If you try to do C&C, they rebel. Or they walk (otherwise known as forking the code in OSS circles). (OK there is the case 'benevolent dictator' - but the key word in benevolent!).

        And when referring to someone "from the Scrum Alliance," I meant policy maker(s) of the Scrum Alliance. People who decide 'we need a contract with our user groups and here are the terms, please sign.' I do not recall anyone in that process requesting input from the community about the problem or how to solve it (but maybe I missed it - so please correct me if I am wrong).

        I was on the board of the Swiss Open System User Group for many years. Every year we had an annual meeting. The board presented its budget and vision for the next year to the members, got approval for big projects, elected new directors, etc. If the board got out of touch with its members (and it was when I joined), membership declined, participation declined -- it lost energy. One of the first things we did to revitalize it was ensure that the the group had a forum (physical, not electronic) where people could meet and talk. In short, get close to the members.

        How does the Scrum Alliance get close to its members? How does it respond to their needs? How do the members influence the direction of the Alliance? Does the board get elected? By whom and when? It seems that there is a lot that the Alliance could do to get closer to its members...

        Cheers,

        Peter

        Mike Dwyer schrieb:

        Me, myself and I are SA members too so counting tobias that makes 5 and I think Ken is, if he finally paid his dues so that make 8.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: Tobias Mayer
        Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 17:25:26 -0700
        To: <scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com>
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum User Group Closes

        Hi Peter

        As far as I can tell, hardly anyone from the Scrum Alliance really participates on this list.
        I am a member of the Scrum Alliance, and I contribute to this list :-)

        the Scrum Alliance is remarkably distant from its team.
        The people on this list are not a "team".  Or did you mean something different?

        Tobias

        --
        Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
        Ken Schwaber CSM Training in Zürich: www.tinyurl.com/Ken-in-ZH