Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum User Group Closes (Reopens immediately we hope)

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 93 , May 1, 2009
      2009/5/1 Mike Sutton <mike.sutton@...>:

      > Oh c'mon - don't folk have anything more important/fulfilling to do
      > than get noses out of joint on something like this?

      I find this type of behaviour to be quite alarming, mike. Not to
      mention that I find your reaction even more alarming.
      This is not about the SA trying to protect "Scrum", this is about how
      they went about doing it. It is also about sending out a misleading,
      legal document without much explanation.

      > The Scrum Alliance is not (AFAIK) big brother or psychotic, if you
      > think it is - then don't join up.
      As I have a slight history with them, that statement is not completely
      true. Before the SA got formalised there was some "questionable"
      behaviour in my eyes. Hopefully that is now gone. However any
      Not-for-profit organisation which starts to dabble in "IP licensing"
      worries me.

      > If the SA needs something signing
      > and you don't want to sign it - don't, if you are happy to sign it -
      > then do.

      If someone needs some signing and that "not signing" ends up in a
      potential lawsuit for me, then I do worry.

      > None of this stops 2 or more individuals gathering in a location
      > (preferably with some beers and wings) and talking/doing Scrum.

      It infringes, unnecessarily so, on how I wish to use the community
      established vocabulary for doing what you described.

      > It has been my experience of hosting Scrum or even non-Scrum agile
      > events , the SA have been more than happy to sponsor, send speakers
      > etc without issue.

      That is not the issue here, is it?

      > So just chill out and worry about global warming instead.

      As that is a natural occurrence and we are just speeding it up a bit,
      I wonder what there is to worry about :)

      -d

      benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
    • Peter Stevens (calendar)
      Message 93 of 93 , May 6, 2009
        Hi Mike& Tobias,

        Using the word "team" I was writing a bit metaphorically. The proper word is of course community. In my experience, a community is the ultimate self organizing team -- because they are self motivated.  Command and control does not work well with communities. If you try to do C&C, they rebel. Or they walk (otherwise known as forking the code in OSS circles). (OK there is the case 'benevolent dictator' - but the key word in benevolent!).

        And when referring to someone "from the Scrum Alliance," I meant policy maker(s) of the Scrum Alliance. People who decide 'we need a contract with our user groups and here are the terms, please sign.' I do not recall anyone in that process requesting input from the community about the problem or how to solve it (but maybe I missed it - so please correct me if I am wrong).

        I was on the board of the Swiss Open System User Group for many years. Every year we had an annual meeting. The board presented its budget and vision for the next year to the members, got approval for big projects, elected new directors, etc. If the board got out of touch with its members (and it was when I joined), membership declined, participation declined -- it lost energy. One of the first things we did to revitalize it was ensure that the the group had a forum (physical, not electronic) where people could meet and talk. In short, get close to the members.

        How does the Scrum Alliance get close to its members? How does it respond to their needs? How do the members influence the direction of the Alliance? Does the board get elected? By whom and when? It seems that there is a lot that the Alliance could do to get closer to its members...

        Cheers,

        Peter

        Mike Dwyer schrieb:

        Me, myself and I are SA members too so counting tobias that makes 5 and I think Ken is, if he finally paid his dues so that make 8.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: Tobias Mayer
        Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 17:25:26 -0700
        To: <scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com>
        Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum User Group Closes

        Hi Peter

        As far as I can tell, hardly anyone from the Scrum Alliance really participates on this list.
        I am a member of the Scrum Alliance, and I contribute to this list :-)

        the Scrum Alliance is remarkably distant from its team.
        The people on this list are not a "team".  Or did you mean something different?

        Tobias

        --
        Peter Stevens, CSM, CSP
        Ken Schwaber CSM Training in Zürich: www.tinyurl.com/Ken-in-ZH