RE: [scrumdevelopment] How does one know when there's too much "but" in Scrum, but?

  • Paul Hudson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009

      >If Scrum is the art of the possible and should be flexed to fit specific needs/situations, how

      > does one know when it is being flexed too far?  Are there
      specific recommendations anyone
      > can make for what to watch for, in general?

      /me gets large tub of popcorn and settles back to watch. This could run and run

    • Mark Summers
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
        Scrum is a simple set of rules (a framework), the art of the possible comes with what you can deliver working within those rules. Those rules keep teams working at the edge of chaos (where they are most productive) without falling over the edge into the abyss.

        Never start by compromising Scrum because you won't know if it is Scrum failing or something else. If you do make changes do that when you have experience and only make one change at a time, it will then be obvious if you have improved the way you deliver or if you have made things worse.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Eiler" <teiler@...> wrote:

        > If Scrum is the art of the possible and should be flexed to fit specific
        > needs/situations, how does one know when it is being flexed too far?
        > Are there specific recommendations anyone can make for what to watch
        > for, in general?
        >

        > Tim Eiler

      • davenicolette
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
          I agree more with George, "who doesn't care what you call it; it's all about helping people and organizations develop software more effectively," than with Mark, who seems to be focusing on compliance with the formal definition of Scrum. So, I would say however much "but" makes sense in your situation is the right amount of "but."

          Cheers,
          Dave