Re: [scrumdevelopment] prodcut burndown chart: update ideal burndown line

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28, 2009
      To me the assumption there's an "ideal burndown" is something left
      over from traditional project management where all the scope -- and
      all the tasks to get them done -- are presumed to be known in the
      beginning.

      As George Dinwiddie recently wrote, many of us prefer release burnup
      (or down) charts that show the rate of PBIs completed vs. the rate of
      new PBIs discovered. This can clarify the extent the deviation from
      the original expectation is related to new scope discovery vs.
      observed velocity slower than someone's original expectation.

      After collecting enough empirical data, Product Owners can have more
      realistic expectations what to expect by a given date and make more
      informed prioritization decisions.

      BTW, you may have noticed I think Product Owners should focus on PBIs
      done (rather than tasks) when making business decisions.

      --mj
      .
      . Michael James | http://danube.com | http://linkedin.com/in/michaeljamesseattle
      . 5-page illustrated summary of Scrum: http://tinyurl.com/dkyqjs