RE: [scrumdevelopment] ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

  • Baboo Kureemun
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
      Totally in favor of this ... go Ken go!

      ________________________________

      From: Ken Schwaber [mailto:ken.schwaber@...]
      Sent: Thu 7/8/2004 1:47 PM
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

      The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year. To the
      world, the ScrumAlliance will be visible as the ScrumAlliance.org
      website. The ScrumAlliance itself will consist of Certified
      ScrumMasters (CSM's) whose license is up to date (renewed
      annually).
      In addition to the website, the ScrumAlliance will host research,
      tools, course development, workshops, participation in conferences,
      marketing, and other development activities.

      I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's
      fund the ScrumAlliance. This fee was described in everyone's CSM
      license. I propose to start assessing the fee by the end of the
      summer, retroactively and for new license renewals.. Those who renew
      their license will be able to participate in ScrumAlliance
      activities and use the resources generated by the ScrumAlliance.
      Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
      Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance. I
      propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
      card from the ScrumAlliance website.

      Let me know your thoughts!
      Ken Schwaber

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      click here <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ofd7tc/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1707209021:HM/EXP=1089406070/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

    • Maurizio Tripi
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
        great! You always know how to create consensus and team spirit.
        You're the very essence of agility!
        thank you Ken

        Maurizio

        Ken Schwaber wrote:

        > The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year. To the
        > world, the ScrumAlliance will be visible as the ScrumAlliance.org
        > website. The ScrumAlliance itself will consist of Certified
        > ScrumMasters (CSM's) whose license is up to date (renewed
        > annually).
        > In addition to the website, the ScrumAlliance will host research,
        > tools, course development, workshops, participation in conferences,
        > marketing, and other development activities.
        >
        > I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's
        > fund the ScrumAlliance. This fee was described in everyone's CSM
        > license. I propose to start assessing the fee by the end of the
        > summer, retroactively and for new license renewals.. Those who renew
        > their license will be able to participate in ScrumAlliance
        > activities and use the resources generated by the ScrumAlliance.
        > Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
        > Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance. I
        > propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
        > card from the ScrumAlliance website.
        >
        > Let me know your thoughts!
        > Ken Schwaber

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > click here
        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ofd7tc/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1707209021:HM/EXP=1089406070/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
          No additional training committments. That reminds me of the PMI money mill. It simply would give the CSM access to and membership in the ScrumAlliance for the next year. They would be able to participate in everything, as well as make use of all of the developed materials. I think upgrading the old Excel add-in is near the top of the list.
          Ken

          > From: "Mary Poppendieck" <mary@...>
          > Date: 2004/07/08 Thu PM 05:01:37 CDT
          > To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
          >
          > I think $50 is a reasonable annual fee, particularly when it helps maintain the web site. What I don't understand is what
          > commitments for additional training would be involved in License Renewal. Therein would lie a potentially bigger commitment.
          >

          > Mary Poppendieck
          >
          > www.poppendieck.com
          >
          > 952-934-7998
          >
          > Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
          >

          > From: "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>
          >
          > Subject: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
          >

          > I propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
          >
          > card from the ScrumAlliance website.
          >

          > Let me know your thoughts!
          >
          > Ken Schwaber

        • Ken Schwaber
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
            Separate

          • pierre.j.drouin@gsk.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004

              Quite frankly, I did not think $100.00 was to much either. Compared to the benefits of this approach + the discussions and learnings, this is small fee.

              Actually, for a couple years now I came to realize that Scrum can be an excellent business process as well. The dynamics and challenges you deal with in the development of a system are also found in quite a few business projects as well. Mary Poppendieck, in her excellent article "Wicked Problems" describes in a general way the context where an adaptive approach like Scrum can be used successfully. I like to think she not only had system development in mind.

              An other step forward to business projects and the use of Adaptive approaches has been maid by Jim Highsmith with his new book ("Agile Project Management") by relating APM to innovations / new products.

              I can only hope to see more and more broadening of AGILE.

              Pierre Drouin
              Project Manager / Chef de projets
              Project Management Office / Bureau de gestion projets
              Information Technology / Technologie de l’information
              GlaxoSmithKline, Canada
              Internet: Pierre.J.Drouin@...
                           www.gsk.ca
              Office / bureau:              (514) 738-8886, Ext. / poste 4063
              Fax / télécopieur:           (514) 956-3188
              Pager / téléavertisseur: (416) 701-5134
              "While ongoing operations deliver value for today, it is the project portfolio that drives a company’s future value. Why? Because the portfolio is the truest measure of organizational intent. It is, in essence, the barometer of a company’s future."

              "Rapid delivery and hyperproductivity through SCRUM"

              "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>

              08-Jul-2004 16:47

              Please respond to scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

              scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com