Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Chickens and pigs

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 26 7:51 AM
      On Apr 26, 2009, at 10:38 AM, amitelad7 wrote:

      > I'll use <Irony></Irony> tags next time :)

      ... and the bartender says "Hey Product Owner! We only serve team
      members in here!"

      The Product Owner says, "But I *am* a team member! Didn't you read
      _Scrum and the Enterprise_?"

      Bartender: "Sure wise guy. It says right here you're a *Scrum* team
      member. But you're not a Scrum *Development* team member!"

      Product Owner: "So what? I'm still the single wringable neck
      responsible for return on investment! It's an important role! Can't
      I get a beer?"

      Bartender: "How about I give you beer you don't want in 30 days."

      --mj (to be continued)
    • Eric Deslauriers
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 26 8:45 AM
         No, no, no. It goes...

        ... and the bartender says "Hey Product Owner! We only serve team members in here!"

        The Product Owner says, "Perfect, may I have one with a side of development, one with a side of design & architecture, and one with a side of DBA, and one with a side of quality. Since Documentation is optional, I'll pass on the the one with the side of Doc. I never liked that very much."

        Bartender: "Ah. Well. See, we're a Scrum-bar, we only serve the combo special where each team member comes with nearly complete portions of each."

        PO: "That's amazing! Ok, I'll just use the parts I like. Ok, serve 'em up, but I'll need five times as many because they're only 1/5 as good"...

        --
        Eric D
        08 K1200S Tricolor (phreowww)
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 26 6:27 PM
          On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 7:23 AM, amitelad7 <amitelad7@...> wrote:

          > i guess i was mistaken in my previous understanding that irony is an
          > acceptable form of humor in this user group, point taken.

          Humor, in general, is acceptable. However, most of it is exceptionally
          bad. Especially the stuff about chickens/pigs. I've done my very best
          to accept Scrum despite this nonsense. I'd prefer if you didn't bring
          it up. :-D
        • Dave Smith
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 26 9:05 PM
            On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 5:20 AM, amitelad7 <amitelad7@...> wrote:
            Being Jewish, I always had a problem with the Chicken and Pig joke/metaphor (the whole kosher thing and whatnot).

            Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons. Mine is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business with a suicidal partner?

            Am I the only one who thinks god is sending the scrum community a message with the recent strains of chicken and pig flu?

            Probably not, sadly.

            Dave

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 27 2:43 AM
              Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

              > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons. Mine
              > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
              > with a suicidal partner?

              Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
              for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

              www.xprogramming.com/blog
              This is how I develop software.
              Take the parts that make sense to you.
              Ignore the rest.
            • Adam Sroka
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 27 3:05 AM
                On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                > Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:
                >
                >> Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                >> Mine
                >> is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
                >> with a suicidal partner?
                >
                > Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                > for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                good steak, beef or bison.
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 27 3:22 AM
                  Hello, Adam. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 6:05:29 AM, you wrote:

                  >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                  >>> Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                  >>> Mine
                  >>> is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
                  >>> with a suicidal partner?

                  >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                  >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                  > I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                  > fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                  > good steak, beef or bison.

                  Well, I think bacon is pretty wonderful. But don't forget nachos,
                  and Pad Thai.

                  www.xprogramming.com/blog
                  To follow the path:
                  Look to the master; Follow the master; Walk with the master;
                  See through the master; Become the master. -- Modern Zen Poem
                • Adam Sroka
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 27 3:34 AM
                    On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                    >>> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                    >>> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."
                    >
                    >> I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                    >> fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                    >> good steak, beef or bison.
                    >
                    > Well, I think bacon is pretty wonderful. But don't forget nachos,
                    > and Pad Thai.

                    Well, Pad Thai is made from rice flower, and nachos from corn and/or
                    wheat. Grains are less likely candidates for personification than
                    cattle or fowl. Plus, I think they are all fairly committed.
                  • Adam Sroka
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 27 3:46 AM
                      On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                      >>> I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                      >>> fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                      >>> good steak, beef or bison.
                      >>
                      >> Well, I think bacon is pretty wonderful. But don't forget nachos,
                      >> and Pad Thai.
                      >>

                      > Well, Pad Thai is made from rice flower, and nachos from corn and/or
                      > wheat. Grains are less likely candidates for personification than
                      > cattle or fowl. Plus, I think they are all fairly committed.

                      err... flour. I'm hewkked awn fauniks
                    • Dave Smith
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 27 10:06 AM
                        On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                        Hello, Dave.  On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                        > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons. Mine
                        > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
                        > with a suicidal partner?

                        Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                        for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                        And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                        The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                        Dave

                      • Adam Sroka
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 27 10:10 AM
                          On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Dave Smith <davewsmith@...> wrote:

                          > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Hello, Dave.  On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                          >> > Mine
                          >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                          >> > business
                          >> > with a suicidal partner?
                          >>
                          >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                          >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."
                          >
                          > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?
                          >
                          > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                          Not after I eat his wings with barbecue sauce and blue cheese. Dammit,
                          is it lunch time yet!?
                        • Keith Ray
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 27 10:32 AM
                            I reget not buying the bacon-flavored instant grits when I was in Nashville.

                            I'm also considering filtering out messages that contain "pigs" or "chickens".

                            On 4/27/09, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                            > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Dave Smith <davewsmith@...> wrote:

                            >>> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                            >>> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."
                            >>
                            >> And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?
                            >>
                            >> The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.
                            >>

                            > Not after I eat his wings with barbecue sauce and blue cheese. Dammit,
                            > is it lunch time yet!?

                            C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
                            http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)
                            Groove with our Agile Greatest Hits: http://www.industriallogic.com/elearning/
                            http://agilesolutionspace.blogspot.com/
                          • Mike Dwyer
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 27 10:42 AM

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 27 10:46 AM
                                There are over 400 hits on the words pig or chicken in this group.  No one,
                                apparently, really wants to solve this conundrum.
                                So we need a new horse to beat.  I vote for Tim Lister’s  fish.

                                Michael F. Dwyer

                                "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
                                solution may emerge."

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 27 10:49 AM
                                  On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Mike Dwyer <mike.dwyer1@...> wrote:

                                  > There are over 400 hits on the words pig or chicken in this group.  No one,
                                  > apparently, really wants to solve this conundrum.
                                  > So we need a new horse to beat.  I vote for Tim Lister’s  fish.

                                  I could eat some fish too. Never tried horse...
                                • Dave Rooney
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 27 10:54 AM
                                    Adam Sroka wrote:
                                    > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Mike Dwyer <mike.dwyer1@...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    >> There are over 400 hits on the words pig or chicken in this group. No one,
                                    >> apparently, really wants to solve this conundrum.
                                    >> So we need a new horse to beat. I vote for Tim Lister’s fish.
                                    >>

                                    > I could eat some fish too. Never tried horse...

                                    ...that you're aware of. ;)

                                    --

                                    Dave Rooney
                                    Mayford Technologies
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 27 11:44 AM
                                      Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 1:06:27 PM, you wrote:

                                      > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                                      >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                                      >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                                      >> Mine
                                      >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                                      >> business
                                      >> > with a suicidal partner?

                                      >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                                      >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                                      > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                                      He isn't. That's the point. He does not accept the proposal.

                                      > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                                      Breakfast out much? :)

                                      www.xprogramming.com/blog
                                      Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful!
                                      Man in Black: Thank you. I have worked hard to become so.
                                    • Mike Dwyer
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 27 11:46 AM

                                        Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 1:06:27 PM, you wrote:

                                        > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <
                                        href="mailto:ronjeffries%40acm.org">ronjeffries@ acm.org> wrote:

                                        >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                                        >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various
                                        reasons.
                                        >> Mine
                                        >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                                        >> business
                                        >> > with a suicidal partner?

                                        >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                                        >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be
                                        committed."

                                        > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                                        He isn't. That's the point. He does not accept the proposal.

                                        > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                                        Breakfast out much? :)

                                        Ron Jeffries
                                        www.XProgramming. com

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 27 2:46 PM
                                          "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
                                          solution may emerge."
                                          Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 1:06:27 PM, you wrote:

                                          > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                                          >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                                          >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                                          >> Mine
                                          >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                                          >> business
                                          >> > with a suicidal partner?

                                          >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                                          >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                                          > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                                          He isn't. That's the point. He does not accept the proposal.

                                          > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                                          Breakfast out much? :)

                                          www.xprogramming.com/blog
                                          Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful!
                                          Man in Black: Thank you. I have worked hard to become so.
                                        • pieter.vandriessche
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 28 1:54 AM
                                            In my Scrum courses I had once a discussion about chicken and pigs. The chicken is supposedly not involved, but that is questionable. For a chicken, an egg is or can be her baby.
                                            So the discussion was: who is more committed? The pig who gives his bacon to the cause, or the chicken who gives her baby to the cause?
                                            I have to admit, I broke off the discussion...
                                          • John Galvin
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 28 4:00 AM
                                              Yes, you are the only only one.