Re: Chickens and pigs

  • amitelad7
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 26, 2009
      I'll use <Irony></Irony> tags next time :)
    • Michael James
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 26, 2009
        On Apr 26, 2009, at 10:38 AM, amitelad7 wrote:

        > I'll use <Irony></Irony> tags next time :)

        ... and the bartender says "Hey Product Owner! We only serve team
        members in here!"

        The Product Owner says, "But I *am* a team member! Didn't you read
        _Scrum and the Enterprise_?"

        Bartender: "Sure wise guy. It says right here you're a *Scrum* team
        member. But you're not a Scrum *Development* team member!"

        Product Owner: "So what? I'm still the single wringable neck
        responsible for return on investment! It's an important role! Can't
        I get a beer?"

        Bartender: "How about I give you beer you don't want in 30 days."

        --mj (to be continued)
      • Eric Deslauriers
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 26, 2009
           No, no, no. It goes...

          ... and the bartender says "Hey Product Owner! We only serve team members in here!"

          The Product Owner says, "Perfect, may I have one with a side of development, one with a side of design & architecture, and one with a side of DBA, and one with a side of quality. Since Documentation is optional, I'll pass on the the one with the side of Doc. I never liked that very much."

          Bartender: "Ah. Well. See, we're a Scrum-bar, we only serve the combo special where each team member comes with nearly complete portions of each."

          PO: "That's amazing! Ok, I'll just use the parts I like. Ok, serve 'em up, but I'll need five times as many because they're only 1/5 as good"...

          --
          Eric D
          08 K1200S Tricolor (phreowww)
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 26, 2009
            On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 7:23 AM, amitelad7 <amitelad7@...> wrote:

            > i guess i was mistaken in my previous understanding that irony is an
            > acceptable form of humor in this user group, point taken.

            Humor, in general, is acceptable. However, most of it is exceptionally
            bad. Especially the stuff about chickens/pigs. I've done my very best
            to accept Scrum despite this nonsense. I'd prefer if you didn't bring
            it up. :-D
          • Dave Smith
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 26, 2009
              On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 5:20 AM, amitelad7 <amitelad7@...> wrote:
              Being Jewish, I always had a problem with the Chicken and Pig joke/metaphor (the whole kosher thing and whatnot).

              Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons. Mine is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business with a suicidal partner?

              Am I the only one who thinks god is sending the scrum community a message with the recent strains of chicken and pig flu?

              Probably not, sadly.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons. Mine
                > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
                > with a suicidal partner?

                Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                www.xprogramming.com/blog
                This is how I develop software.
                Take the parts that make sense to you.
                Ignore the rest.
              • Adam Sroka
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                  On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                  > Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:
                  >
                  >> Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                  >> Mine
                  >> is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
                  >> with a suicidal partner?
                  >
                  > Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                  > for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                  I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                  fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                  good steak, beef or bison.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                    Hello, Adam. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 6:05:29 AM, you wrote:

                    >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                    >>> Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                    >>> Mine
                    >>> is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
                    >>> with a suicidal partner?

                    >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                    >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                    > I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                    > fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                    > good steak, beef or bison.

                    Well, I think bacon is pretty wonderful. But don't forget nachos,
                    and Pad Thai.

                    www.xprogramming.com/blog
                    To follow the path:
                    Look to the master; Follow the master; Walk with the master;
                    See through the master; Become the master. -- Modern Zen Poem
                  • Adam Sroka
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                      On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                      >>> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                      >>> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."
                      >
                      >> I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                      >> fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                      >> good steak, beef or bison.
                      >
                      > Well, I think bacon is pretty wonderful. But don't forget nachos,
                      > and Pad Thai.

                      Well, Pad Thai is made from rice flower, and nachos from corn and/or
                      wheat. Grains are less likely candidates for personification than
                      cattle or fowl. Plus, I think they are all fairly committed.
                    • Adam Sroka
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                        On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                        >>> I like wings more than eggs anyway ...more than bacon as a matter of
                        >>> fact. Breaks the whole metaphor for me. Neither is nearly as good as a
                        >>> good steak, beef or bison.
                        >>
                        >> Well, I think bacon is pretty wonderful. But don't forget nachos,
                        >> and Pad Thai.
                        >>

                        > Well, Pad Thai is made from rice flower, and nachos from corn and/or
                        > wheat. Grains are less likely candidates for personification than
                        > cattle or fowl. Plus, I think they are all fairly committed.

                        err... flour. I'm hewkked awn fauniks
                      • Dave Smith
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                          On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                          Hello, Dave.  On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                          > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons. Mine
                          > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into business
                          > with a suicidal partner?

                          Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                          for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                          And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                          The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                          Dave

                        • Adam Sroka
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                            On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Dave Smith <davewsmith@...> wrote:

                            > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Hello, Dave.  On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:
                            >>
                            >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                            >> > Mine
                            >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                            >> > business
                            >> > with a suicidal partner?
                            >>
                            >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                            >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."
                            >
                            > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?
                            >
                            > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                            Not after I eat his wings with barbecue sauce and blue cheese. Dammit,
                            is it lunch time yet!?
                          • Keith Ray
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                              I reget not buying the bacon-flavored instant grits when I was in Nashville.

                              I'm also considering filtering out messages that contain "pigs" or "chickens".

                              On 4/27/09, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                              > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Dave Smith <davewsmith@...> wrote:

                              >>> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                              >>> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."
                              >>
                              >> And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?
                              >>
                              >> The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.
                              >>

                              > Not after I eat his wings with barbecue sauce and blue cheese. Dammit,
                              > is it lunch time yet!?

                              C. Keith Ray, IXP Coach, Industrial Logic, Inc.
                              http://industriallogic.com 866-540-8336 (toll free)
                              Groove with our Agile Greatest Hits: http://www.industriallogic.com/elearning/
                              http://agilesolutionspace.blogspot.com/
                            • Mike Dwyer
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                                  There are over 400 hits on the words pig or chicken in this group.  No one,
                                  apparently, really wants to solve this conundrum.
                                  So we need a new horse to beat.  I vote for Tim Lister’s  fish.

                                  Michael F. Dwyer

                                  "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
                                  solution may emerge."

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                                    On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Mike Dwyer <mike.dwyer1@...> wrote:

                                    > There are over 400 hits on the words pig or chicken in this group.  No one,
                                    > apparently, really wants to solve this conundrum.
                                    > So we need a new horse to beat.  I vote for Tim Lister’s  fish.

                                    I could eat some fish too. Never tried horse...
                                  • Dave Rooney
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                                      Adam Sroka wrote:
                                      > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Mike Dwyer <mike.dwyer1@...> wrote:
                                      >

                                      >> There are over 400 hits on the words pig or chicken in this group. No one,
                                      >> apparently, really wants to solve this conundrum.
                                      >> So we need a new horse to beat. I vote for Tim Lister’s fish.
                                      >>

                                      > I could eat some fish too. Never tried horse...

                                      ...that you're aware of. ;)

                                      --

                                      Dave Rooney
                                      Mayford Technologies
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                                        Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 1:06:27 PM, you wrote:

                                        > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                                        >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                                        >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                                        >> Mine
                                        >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                                        >> business
                                        >> > with a suicidal partner?

                                        >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                                        >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                                        > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                                        He isn't. That's the point. He does not accept the proposal.

                                        > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                                        Breakfast out much? :)

                                        www.xprogramming.com/blog
                                        Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful!
                                        Man in Black: Thank you. I have worked hard to become so.
                                      • Mike Dwyer
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009

                                          Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 1:06:27 PM, you wrote:

                                          > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <
                                          href="mailto:ronjeffries%40acm.org">ronjeffries@ acm.org> wrote:

                                          >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                                          >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various
                                          reasons.
                                          >> Mine
                                          >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                                          >> business
                                          >> > with a suicidal partner?

                                          >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                                          >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be
                                          committed."

                                          > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                                          He isn't. That's the point. He does not accept the proposal.

                                          > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                                          Breakfast out much? :)

                                          Ron Jeffries
                                          www.XProgramming. com

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 27, 2009
                                            "Planning constantly peers into the future for indications as to where a
                                            solution may emerge."
                                            Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 1:06:27 PM, you wrote:

                                            > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                                            >> Hello, Dave. On Monday, April 27, 2009, at 12:05:08 AM, you wrote:

                                            >> > Plenty of people have problems with that metaphor, for various reasons.
                                            >> Mine
                                            >> > is that it's backwards: the pig is suicidal. Who wants to go into
                                            >> business
                                            >> > with a suicidal partner?

                                            >> Not to be pedantic but the pig objects to the chicken's proposal,
                                            >> for that very reason: "You'd be involved, but I'd be committed."

                                            > And how, pray tell, is the pig going to be providing bacon?

                                            He isn't. That's the point. He does not accept the proposal.

                                            > The chicken, at least, has the chance of working at a sustainable pace.

                                            Breakfast out much? :)

                                            www.xprogramming.com/blog
                                            Inigo Montoya: You are wonderful!
                                            Man in Black: Thank you. I have worked hard to become so.
                                          • pieter.vandriessche
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 28, 2009
                                              In my Scrum courses I had once a discussion about chicken and pigs. The chicken is supposedly not involved, but that is questionable. For a chicken, an egg is or can be her baby.
                                              So the discussion was: who is more committed? The pig who gives his bacon to the cause, or the chicken who gives her baby to the cause?
                                              I have to admit, I broke off the discussion...
                                            • John Galvin
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 28, 2009
                                                Yes, you are the only only one.