Re: [scrumdevelopment] ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

  • Dean Goodmanson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
      --- Ken Schwaber wrote:
      > I propose a fee of $50

      Good Move.

      [This] Current outsider perspective was $600/year
      renewal, with obscure benefits.

      ..Is it too late to ask whether an Agile Alliance
      membership and Scrum license bundle is considered?

      - Dean

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Mary Poppendieck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004

        I think $50 is a reasonable annual fee, particularly when it helps maintain the web site.  What I don't understand is what commitments for additional training would be involved in License Renewal.  Therein would lie a potentially bigger commitment.

        Mary Poppendieck

        www.poppendieck.com

        952-934-7998

        Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit

           From: "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>

        Subject: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

        I propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit

        card from the ScrumAlliance website.

        Let me know your thoughts!

        Ken Schwaber

      • Deb
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"
          <ken.schwaber@v...> wrote:
          > ... I
          > propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
          > card from the ScrumAlliance website.

          So, would this be instead of the $100 fee to upgrade to Practitioner?
        • Marco Abis
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
            > The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year.

            good news :)

            > I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's to fund the
            > ScrumAlliance.

            agreed

            > Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
            > Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance.

            I find this great because it's an evidence of the fact that CSM isn't a
            for-profit activity by itself.

            > propose a fee of $50

            I really hope that such a low fee will invite all the CSM to pay it

            Keep up the good work

            Marco Abis
            http://www.agilityspi.com - Agility SPI: Software Process Improvement
            http://agilemovement.it - Italian Agile Movement
          • Baboo Kureemun
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
              Totally in favor of this ... go Ken go!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                great! You always know how to create consensus and team spirit.
                You're the very essence of agility!
                thank you Ken

                Maurizio

                Ken Schwaber wrote:

                > The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year. To the
                > world, the ScrumAlliance will be visible as the ScrumAlliance.org
                > website. The ScrumAlliance itself will consist of Certified
                > ScrumMasters (CSM's) whose license is up to date (renewed
                > annually).
                > In addition to the website, the ScrumAlliance will host research,
                > tools, course development, workshops, participation in conferences,
                > marketing, and other development activities.
                >
                > I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's
                > fund the ScrumAlliance. This fee was described in everyone's CSM
                > license. I propose to start assessing the fee by the end of the
                > summer, retroactively and for new license renewals.. Those who renew
                > their license will be able to participate in ScrumAlliance
                > activities and use the resources generated by the ScrumAlliance.
                > Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
                > Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance. I
                > propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
                > card from the ScrumAlliance website.
                >
                > Let me know your thoughts!
                > Ken Schwaber

                > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                > click here
                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ofd7tc/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1707209021:HM/EXP=1089406070/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

              • Ken Schwaber
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                  No additional training committments. That reminds me of the PMI money mill. It simply would give the CSM access to and membership in the ScrumAlliance for the next year. They would be able to participate in everything, as well as make use of all of the developed materials. I think upgrading the old Excel add-in is near the top of the list.
                  Ken

                  > From: "Mary Poppendieck" <mary@...>
                  > Date: 2004/07/08 Thu PM 05:01:37 CDT
                  > To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
                  >
                  > I think $50 is a reasonable annual fee, particularly when it helps maintain the web site. What I don't understand is what
                  > commitments for additional training would be involved in License Renewal. Therein would lie a potentially bigger commitment.
                  >

                  > Mary Poppendieck
                  >
                  > www.poppendieck.com
                  >
                  > 952-934-7998
                  >
                  > Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
                  >

                  > From: "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>
                  >
                  > Subject: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
                  >

                  > I propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
                  >
                  > card from the ScrumAlliance website.
                  >

                  > Let me know your thoughts!
                  >
                  > Ken Schwaber

                • Ken Schwaber
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                    Separate

                  • pierre.j.drouin@gsk.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004

                      Quite frankly, I did not think $100.00 was to much either. Compared to the benefits of this approach + the discussions and learnings, this is small fee.

                      Actually, for a couple years now I came to realize that Scrum can be an excellent business process as well. The dynamics and challenges you deal with in the development of a system are also found in quite a few business projects as well. Mary Poppendieck, in her excellent article "Wicked Problems" describes in a general way the context where an adaptive approach like Scrum can be used successfully. I like to think she not only had system development in mind.

                      An other step forward to business projects and the use of Adaptive approaches has been maid by Jim Highsmith with his new book ("Agile Project Management") by relating APM to innovations / new products.

                      I can only hope to see more and more broadening of AGILE.

                      Pierre Drouin
                      Project Manager / Chef de projets
                      Project Management Office / Bureau de gestion projets
                      Information Technology / Technologie de l’information
                      GlaxoSmithKline, Canada
                      Internet: Pierre.J.Drouin@...
                                   www.gsk.ca
                      Office / bureau:              (514) 738-8886, Ext. / poste 4063
                      Fax / télécopieur:           (514) 956-3188
                      Pager / téléavertisseur: (416) 701-5134
                      "While ongoing operations deliver value for today, it is the project portfolio that drives a company’s future value. Why? Because the portfolio is the truest measure of organizational intent. It is, in essence, the barometer of a company’s future."

                      "Rapid delivery and hyperproductivity through SCRUM"

                      "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>

                      08-Jul-2004 16:47

                      Please respond to scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                      scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com