Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How did splitting stories above 5 helped us

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2009
      I was about to write the same thing.

      Tiago's article is interesting. I was surprised to read his stories
      added up to less than the parent epics, as I usually see the total get
      bigger as we split them (causing me to think Fibonacci instead of
      exponential story points is a kind of self deception, though I clearly
      haven't been able to explain this well yet). I visualize it like
      Mandelbrot's fractal coastline that gets longer the closer you zoom in
      on it.

      I do think most teams should break stories smaller than they are
      doing, before committing them to Sprints. But I also recall a Product
      Owner who went to the opposite extreme, prematurely defining tiny
      stories for the whole release during the first Sprint. Really, he had
      no idea what would happen in the future. As the Product Backlog
      itself is a kind of inventory, I'd prefer to wait until the last
      responsible moment, which will vary based on how much precision you're
      trying to get in the release plan.

      --mj