Re: [scrumdevelopment] ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

  • Chester J Daigle
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
      Good idea.
      Works for me, Ken.
      Would love to have the Excel add-in enhanced (assuming payment confers (at
      least partial) Product Owner status)!

      Big Grin!

      This E-Mail/telefax message and any documents accompanying this
      transmission may contain privileged and/or confidential information and is
      intended solely for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the
      intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of,
      disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the contents of this
      E-Mail/telefax information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal
      action against you. Please reply to the sender advising of the error in
      transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any
      accompanying documents. Thank you.
    • Dean Goodmanson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
        --- Ken Schwaber wrote:
        > I propose a fee of $50

        Good Move.

        [This] Current outsider perspective was $600/year
        renewal, with obscure benefits.

        ..Is it too late to ask whether an Agile Alliance
        membership and Scrum license bundle is considered?

        - Dean

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Mary Poppendieck
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004

          I think $50 is a reasonable annual fee, particularly when it helps maintain the web site.  What I don't understand is what commitments for additional training would be involved in License Renewal.  Therein would lie a potentially bigger commitment.

          Mary Poppendieck

          www.poppendieck.com

          952-934-7998

          Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit

             From: "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>

          Subject: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

          I propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit

          card from the ScrumAlliance website.

          Let me know your thoughts!

          Ken Schwaber

        • Deb
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"
            <ken.schwaber@v...> wrote:
            > ... I
            > propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
            > card from the ScrumAlliance website.

            So, would this be instead of the $100 fee to upgrade to Practitioner?
          • Marco Abis
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
              > The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year.

              good news :)

              > I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's to fund the
              > ScrumAlliance.

              agreed

              > Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
              > Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance.

              I find this great because it's an evidence of the fact that CSM isn't a
              for-profit activity by itself.

              > propose a fee of $50

              I really hope that such a low fee will invite all the CSM to pay it

              Keep up the good work

              Marco Abis
              http://www.agilityspi.com - Agility SPI: Software Process Improvement
              http://agilemovement.it - Italian Agile Movement
            • Baboo Kureemun
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                Totally in favor of this ... go Ken go!

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                  great! You always know how to create consensus and team spirit.
                  You're the very essence of agility!
                  thank you Ken

                  Maurizio

                  Ken Schwaber wrote:

                  > The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year. To the
                  > world, the ScrumAlliance will be visible as the ScrumAlliance.org
                  > website. The ScrumAlliance itself will consist of Certified
                  > ScrumMasters (CSM's) whose license is up to date (renewed
                  > annually).
                  > In addition to the website, the ScrumAlliance will host research,
                  > tools, course development, workshops, participation in conferences,
                  > marketing, and other development activities.
                  >
                  > I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's
                  > fund the ScrumAlliance. This fee was described in everyone's CSM
                  > license. I propose to start assessing the fee by the end of the
                  > summer, retroactively and for new license renewals.. Those who renew
                  > their license will be able to participate in ScrumAlliance
                  > activities and use the resources generated by the ScrumAlliance.
                  > Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
                  > Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance. I
                  > propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
                  > card from the ScrumAlliance website.
                  >
                  > Let me know your thoughts!
                  > Ken Schwaber

                  > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                  > click here
                  > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ofd7tc/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1707209021:HM/EXP=1089406070/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

                • Ken Schwaber
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                    No additional training committments. That reminds me of the PMI money mill. It simply would give the CSM access to and membership in the ScrumAlliance for the next year. They would be able to participate in everything, as well as make use of all of the developed materials. I think upgrading the old Excel add-in is near the top of the list.
                    Ken

                    > From: "Mary Poppendieck" <mary@...>
                    > Date: 2004/07/08 Thu PM 05:01:37 CDT
                    > To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
                    >
                    > I think $50 is a reasonable annual fee, particularly when it helps maintain the web site. What I don't understand is what
                    > commitments for additional training would be involved in License Renewal. Therein would lie a potentially bigger commitment.
                    >

                    > Mary Poppendieck
                    >
                    > www.poppendieck.com
                    >
                    > 952-934-7998
                    >
                    > Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
                    >

                    > From: "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>
                    >
                    > Subject: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
                    >

                    > I propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
                    >
                    > card from the ScrumAlliance website.
                    >

                    > Let me know your thoughts!
                    >
                    > Ken Schwaber

                  • Ken Schwaber
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                      Separate

                    • pierre.j.drouin@gsk.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004

                        Quite frankly, I did not think $100.00 was to much either. Compared to the benefits of this approach + the discussions and learnings, this is small fee.

                        Actually, for a couple years now I came to realize that Scrum can be an excellent business process as well. The dynamics and challenges you deal with in the development of a system are also found in quite a few business projects as well. Mary Poppendieck, in her excellent article "Wicked Problems" describes in a general way the context where an adaptive approach like Scrum can be used successfully. I like to think she not only had system development in mind.

                        An other step forward to business projects and the use of Adaptive approaches has been maid by Jim Highsmith with his new book ("Agile Project Management") by relating APM to innovations / new products.

                        I can only hope to see more and more broadening of AGILE.

                        Pierre Drouin
                        Project Manager / Chef de projets
                        Project Management Office / Bureau de gestion projets
                        Information Technology / Technologie de l’information
                        GlaxoSmithKline, Canada
                        Internet: Pierre.J.Drouin@...
                                     www.gsk.ca
                        Office / bureau:              (514) 738-8886, Ext. / poste 4063
                        Fax / télécopieur:           (514) 956-3188
                        Pager / téléavertisseur: (416) 701-5134
                        "While ongoing operations deliver value for today, it is the project portfolio that drives a company’s future value. Why? Because the portfolio is the truest measure of organizational intent. It is, in essence, the barometer of a company’s future."

                        "Rapid delivery and hyperproductivity through SCRUM"

                        "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>

                        08-Jul-2004 16:47

                        Please respond to scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                        scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com