ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
      The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year. To the
      world, the ScrumAlliance will be visible as the ScrumAlliance.org
      website. The ScrumAlliance itself will consist of Certified
      ScrumMasters (CSM's) whose license is up to date (renewed
      annually).
      In addition to the website, the ScrumAlliance will host research,
      tools, course development, workshops, participation in conferences,
      marketing, and other development activities.

      I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's
      fund the ScrumAlliance. This fee was described in everyone's CSM
      license. I propose to start assessing the fee by the end of the
      summer, retroactively and for new license renewals.. Those who renew
      their license will be able to participate in ScrumAlliance
      activities and use the resources generated by the ScrumAlliance.
      Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
      Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance. I
      propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
      card from the ScrumAlliance website.

      Let me know your thoughts!
      Ken Schwaber
    • Chester J Daigle
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
        Good idea.
        Works for me, Ken.
        Would love to have the Excel add-in enhanced (assuming payment confers (at
        least partial) Product Owner status)!

        Big Grin!

        This E-Mail/telefax message and any documents accompanying this
        transmission may contain privileged and/or confidential information and is
        intended solely for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the
        intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of,
        disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the contents of this
        E-Mail/telefax information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal
        action against you. Please reply to the sender advising of the error in
        transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any
        accompanying documents. Thank you.
      • Dean Goodmanson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
          --- Ken Schwaber wrote:
          > I propose a fee of $50

          Good Move.

          [This] Current outsider perspective was $600/year
          renewal, with obscure benefits.

          ..Is it too late to ask whether an Agile Alliance
          membership and Scrum license bundle is considered?

          - Dean

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Mary Poppendieck
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004

            I think $50 is a reasonable annual fee, particularly when it helps maintain the web site.  What I don't understand is what commitments for additional training would be involved in License Renewal.  Therein would lie a potentially bigger commitment.

            Mary Poppendieck

            www.poppendieck.com

            952-934-7998

            Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 8, 2004
              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"
              <ken.schwaber@v...> wrote:
              > ... I
              > propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
              > card from the ScrumAlliance website.

              So, would this be instead of the $100 fee to upgrade to Practitioner?
            • Marco Abis
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                > The ScrumAlliance is being repurposed for the upcoming year.

                good news :)

                > I propose to use the annual renewal of license fees from CSM's to fund the
                > ScrumAlliance.

                agreed

                > Those who don't renew their license will still be listed as
                > Certified ScrumMasters, but won't be part of the ScrumAlliance.

                I find this great because it's an evidence of the fact that CSM isn't a
                for-profit activity by itself.

                > propose a fee of $50

                I really hope that such a low fee will invite all the CSM to pay it

                Keep up the good work

                Marco Abis
                http://www.agilityspi.com - Agility SPI: Software Process Improvement
                http://agilemovement.it - Italian Agile Movement
              • Baboo Kureemun
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                  Totally in favor of this ... go Ken go!

                  ________________________________

[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  click here <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ofd7tc/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1707209021:HM/EXP=1089406070/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

                • Maurizio Tripi
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                    great! You always know how to create consensus and team spirit.
                    You're the very essence of agility!
                    thank you Ken

                    Maurizio

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                      No additional training committments. That reminds me of the PMI money mill. It simply would give the CSM access to and membership in the ScrumAlliance for the next year. They would be able to participate in everything, as well as make use of all of the developed materials. I think upgrading the old Excel add-in is near the top of the list.
                      Ken

                      > From: "Mary Poppendieck" <mary@...>
                      > Date: 2004/07/08 Thu PM 05:01:37 CDT
                      > To: <scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
                      >
                      > I think $50 is a reasonable annual fee, particularly when it helps maintain the web site. What I don't understand is what
                      > commitments for additional training would be involved in License Renewal. Therein would lie a potentially bigger commitment.
                      >

                      > Mary Poppendieck
                      >
                      > www.poppendieck.com
                      >
                      > 952-934-7998
                      >
                      > Author of: Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
                      >

                      > From: "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>
                      >
                      > Subject: ScrumAlliance and License Renewal
                      >

                      > I propose a fee of $50, which will be assessed and payable via credit
                      >
                      > card from the ScrumAlliance website.
                      >

                      > Let me know your thoughts!
                      >
                      > Ken Schwaber

                    • Ken Schwaber
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004
                        Separate

                      • pierre.j.drouin@gsk.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 9, 2004

                          Quite frankly, I did not think $100.00 was to much either. Compared to the benefits of this approach + the discussions and learnings, this is small fee.

                          Actually, for a couple years now I came to realize that Scrum can be an excellent business process as well. The dynamics and challenges you deal with in the development of a system are also found in quite a few business projects as well. Mary Poppendieck, in her excellent article "Wicked Problems" describes in a general way the context where an adaptive approach like Scrum can be used successfully. I like to think she not only had system development in mind.

                          An other step forward to business projects and the use of Adaptive approaches has been maid by Jim Highsmith with his new book ("Agile Project Management") by relating APM to innovations / new products.

                          I can only hope to see more and more broadening of AGILE.

                          Pierre Drouin
                          Project Manager / Chef de projets
                          Project Management Office / Bureau de gestion projets
                          Information Technology / Technologie de l’information
                          GlaxoSmithKline, Canada
                          Internet: Pierre.J.Drouin@...
                                       www.gsk.ca
                          Office / bureau:              (514) 738-8886, Ext. / poste 4063
                          Fax / télécopieur:           (514) 956-3188
                          Pager / téléavertisseur: (416) 701-5134
                          "While ongoing operations deliver value for today, it is the project portfolio that drives a company’s future value. Why? Because the portfolio is the truest measure of organizational intent. It is, in essence, the barometer of a company’s future."

                          "Rapid delivery and hyperproductivity through SCRUM"

                          "Ken Schwaber" <ken.schwaber@...>

                          08-Jul-2004 16:47

                          Please respond to scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                          scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                          cc
                          Subject
                          [scrumdevelopment] ScrumAlliance and License Renewal

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/9EfwlB/TM

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/