RE: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 643

  • Damon Carr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2004
      Mike,

      I would love to contribute the first official article that covers the
      'agilefactor' method. We have successfully executed this on over 9 mission
      critical projects with incredible successes. It may not sound like a lot but
      these were 7 figure engagements with some of the world's largest firms.

      We are unique in that :

      1) We have an incredibly explicit Risk Management Framework weaved into all
      aspects of any 'Future Event'., For example, for Date X where X > NOW an
      agilefactor consulting will always say:

      "We can meet Iteration Z which ends on date X with a 80% Confidence"

      We NEVER use a binary model of success/fail for future events. Our first
      question to a customer is "How much risk are you willing to take on". Long
      story short... An 80% confidence looks a lot different then a 90% confidence
      for the same project.

      We cannot predict the future but we can stack the cards in our favor. We
      also do not make foolish assumptions about linear productivity growth of
      adding staff. That was killed what, 30 years ago with the 'Mythical Man
      Month'? We have developed a very dynamic model that adjusts the incremental
      value of a resource give existing resources. The numbers change but the
      curve is similar. You have some linear growth up to point t(x) and then
      incremental resources are adding 100%*.Y where Y < 1. Then you actually
      start to take away cycles from the project. This proprietary method has
      evolved in our work and is different depending on the client, team size,
      work scope, etc.

      We also have been forced to find creative ways to add metrics that add value
      to our work and produce 'paper' as we work for the world's largest financial
      institutions. We have found that a web-based SDLC Lifecycle tool for all
      requirements, defects, enhancements, etc. that also controls iteration
      planning is the perfect vehicle for the capturing of metrics.

      A new user story is added to an iteration and a developer estimates the
      total man-hour effort (perhaps with his pair). That becomes read only,
      unless the version of the user story changes. Then after the automated Unit
      Testing has occurred (using TDD - We write the test and then code to make it
      pass) the resulting XML is sent to the build manager for our daily builds.
      If a user cannot make a feature work for the fixed-length iteration it is
      stubbed out. All tests must be 'green' and the XML report submitted as part
      of his or her announcement that the daily integration can commence.

      What makes us unique is (and I am not going into all the gory detail) we
      have a very rigorous yet easy to implement risk management infrastructure,
      metrics are captured and reviewed before every iteration, we graph the
      metrics over iterations, and we leverage UML tools for code generation. We
      are one very thin layer above 'agile modeling'. A white board cannot
      generate code, and we use a tool from Sparx to generate our base C# class
      templates.

      I could go on for hours, but I am working on the book (called 'agilefactor')
      that spells all this out and the tremendous success we have experienced with
      the use of this process.

      If you would like to discuss email me at: damon@.... I am on a
      break from a Master's at Columbia where I taught .NET/C# to an eager group
      (I am 33, a bit older them most of them and probably younger then most of
      you).

      I know I have fundamentally good ideas that are not unique in general on a
      stand alone basis, but I have combined them in a very unique way that is
      evolutionary, intuitive and incredibly effective (while keeping audit and
      compliance happy - something most Agile processes cannot do for the clients
      I have).

      This group can claim as members some of my heroes. I can only hope to be
      allowed the opportunity to show you what I can offer the Agile community.

      Kind Regards,

      D.W. Carr, Chief Technologist and CEO
      Agilefactor
      www.agilefactor.com

      From: "Mike Cohn" <mike@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:44:16 -0600
      From: "Mike Cohn" <

      Subject: Write for the September issue of the Agile Times

      Hello--

      I'm soliciting articles for the next issue of the Agile Times, the official
      e-magazine of the Agile Alliance.

      In particular I am looking for articles that would fit in one of these three
      areas:

      1) a discussion of an "agile best practice." I've written before that
      I'm not a big believer in universal best practices so this article is
      ideally more about a specific practice that works well in a specific
      context.

      2) A book review. Read any good books lately that you think may be of
      interest to agile readers? If so, write a book review and tell everyone what
      you think of the book.

      3) A review or commentary about an "Agile Tool." There are lots of
      tools in use by agile teams, why not write about your favorite?

      We're very open on word count on these articles although they are typically
      between 2,000 and 4,000 words (book reviews are usually much shorter).

      The deadline is 8/25 for the issue to be published in September.

      Please contact me for details or if you have questions. If you have
      questions about contributing an article on another topic, please contact me
      and I'll either answer your question or help point you to the person editing
      that area of the Agile Times.

      --Mike Cohn

      <http://www.userstories.com> www.userstories.com

      www.mountaingoatsoftware.com