Re: Leading people. I am doing right?

  • Mike Polen
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 20, 2009
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Flávio Steffens de Castro <flavio.steffens@...> wrote:
      > I heard all of them. And I can say that 80-90% of them are demotivated with
      > the situation of them. Reasons? Lack of communication, crazy deadlines and
      > tasks - like learn .NET in a week to program an intranet - and also the
      > problems with the perspectives (no career plan, no praise by the directors,
      > etc).
      > I tried to tell them about some good news that I heard, like the directors
      > hiring a consultant to help them to organize all the company, and ask them
      > to keep faith that things are going to change. But I can see that many of
      > them doesnt believe it anymore.
      > I was very upset about the meeting and I gone talk with the others project
      > managers and also the directors. I heard some stuff like:

      ..bad ideas cut out...

      > Maybe I need to change a little bit...
      > It's not my objective to be the FRIEND of every employee. My real (Utopian)
      > objective is to make the developers have faith in the changes and also keep
      > their morale high... making them see that some changes can be made by
      > themselves.
      > But this conversation with my directors affected me a little. Am I being a
      > FRIEND BOSS? Or I am right on trying to make the developers more happy,
      > faithful and motivated to work? Am I going against the company by listening
      > to the employees and trying to help them to solve their problems, even if
      > the problems are with the directors?
      > What can you say about this situation? Your experience will be very useful
      > to me.

      I have been there and I can honestly say it is not easy. Obiously I am taking a lot of assumptions about your situation and I could be WAY off.

      The key in is understanding what you can control and mostly ignoring those things you can not. You must understand that different people have differing motivations and try and use this knowledge to help grow your ability to influence. When you are with the directors I wouldn't say too much about you wanting to listen to the developers and I would never complain to them or ask advice. The advice you got was so bad as to be unprofessional.

      On the other hand I don't think you need to let the developers spend much time on things they can't control, like the directors. They have a lot more power than they think. They build the stuff! Be careful of not throwing a pity party and instead focus on positive actions. Ask questions like "What are WE going to do about that?" There are some great resources online about retrospectives - I liked this example http://bit.ly/uq2Rh by Corey Foy using the book Agile Retrospectives by Diana Larsen and Esther Derby.

      If you like reading, I recommend the book Software For Your Head (you can download the core protocols from http://bit.ly/QZtFV)

      Good luck, true work is never easy.