Re: Conducting planning session

  • davenicolette
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2009
      Hi Sivaram,

      Regarding Planning Poker in particular, maybe this website will provide the level of detailed information you are looking for: http://www.planningpoker.com/detail.html

      Unfortunately, people tend to use the word "estimation" both for time-based estimation and for story sizing. I think this leads to a lot of confusion. Personally, I like to say "sizing" instead of "estimation" when talking about what goes on during sprint planning.

      When methods like Scrum were first becoming popular, sprints/iterations were longer and people needed a way to manage the work flow within each sprint. It's becoming more common to use shorter sprints, and many teams have found they can dispense with sprint management overhead such as decomposing stories into tasks, estimating tasks in terms of ideal time, re-estimating incomplete tasks, and tracking a sprint burndown. It's more common today to size the stories and leave it at that. We then can depend on velocity for release planning rather than using estimated time. This approach also removes the management overhead of comparing estimated time to actual time, which never seems to offer useful data anyway.

      Cheers,
      Dave