Conducting planning session

  • asaisivaramprasad
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
      Hi

      how planning sessions are conducted and what are the guidelines to
      conduct the sessions .
    • Rashmi Jha
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
        Hi,

        As far as Sprint Planning meeting goes, here are some guidelines:

        The Sprint Planning meeting should be ideally divided into two distinct sub meetings:

        Sprint Planning Meeting Part I (1-1.5 hr)

        • Product Owner explains the items at the top of the Product Backlog, and answers questions from the team
        • Team and Product Owner review the “Definition of Done”

        Sprint Planning Meeting Part II (2-3 hours)

        Team

        • Team decides which items from the Product Backlog to commit to, starting at the top of the Product Backlog.
        • This results in creation of Sprint Backlog (List of all the tasks with estimates - typically in hours or fractions of a day and along with the task volunteers.)

        ScrumMaster facilitates the meeting and protects the team from pressure.

        Thanks,
        Rashmi

        how planning sessions are conducted and what are the guidelines to
        conduct the sessions .

      • John Freeman
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009

          Hi,

          My understanding is that when the team decides which items from the Product Backlog to commit to, they use the priorities assigned by the Product Owner AND the team’s estimates to determine which items fit in the time-boxed iteration.  This result should be shared with the Product Owner so that an agreement can be reached about the “Definition of Done”, including late changes.

          Am I correct?

          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2009
            Hi,

            Thanks , What ever provided as guideline is correct . But i wanted to know about how the estimating process

            is carried out in Sprint Planning , As far as I know Planning poker is used and story points are derived for estimation.

            If any one can explain this with complete information , it would be great.

            Sivaram

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2009
              Hi Sivaram,

              Regarding Planning Poker in particular, maybe this website will provide the level of detailed information you are looking for: http://www.planningpoker.com/detail.html

              Unfortunately, people tend to use the word "estimation" both for time-based estimation and for story sizing. I think this leads to a lot of confusion. Personally, I like to say "sizing" instead of "estimation" when talking about what goes on during sprint planning.

              When methods like Scrum were first becoming popular, sprints/iterations were longer and people needed a way to manage the work flow within each sprint. It's becoming more common to use shorter sprints, and many teams have found they can dispense with sprint management overhead such as decomposing stories into tasks, estimating tasks in terms of ideal time, re-estimating incomplete tasks, and tracking a sprint burndown. It's more common today to size the stories and leave it at that. We then can depend on velocity for release planning rather than using estimated time. This approach also removes the management overhead of comparing estimated time to actual time, which never seems to offer useful data anyway.

              Cheers,
              Dave