Re: Regarding Scrum infrastructure

  • Henrik Kniberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2009
      Hi Hemant,

      > Could you suggest me all the infrastructure required if I want to go the
      > Scrum way as described in your book .
      > Infrastructure like for e.g the task boards, white boards, poker cards,
      > meeting rooms etc., for a team of 5-10 members

      One single shared room for the team, one separate room for meetings.
      As many whiteboards as you can fit in the team room and meeting room
      (magnetic ones). Index cards. Magnetic tape (sticky on one side,
      magnetic on the other, great to use with index cards). Super stickies
      (not the normal type that fall down after a few days). 3 planning
      poker decks (each deck is usually for four people).

      Preferably also a smaller room or two for individual team members who
      want some private time, with one computer and to chairs.

      A nice cozy lounge where people can relax and discuss stuff in
      non-meeting-room context.

      A spreadsheet application to house the product backlog, for example
      Excel or Google Spreadsheets. Some tool to print the backlog items to
      index cards, for example this one:
      http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2007/12/18/1197973740000.html

      And then of course there's continuous integration and version control
      servers and all the other dev infrastructure but I'm not going to get
      into that. Quickbuild and Perforce in our case.

      Interesting question actually, might blog about it :o)

      > 2. Also could you please recommend me with some more good read on Scrum.
      Depends on what you want to know more about. Since you've already read
      one book about Scrum you might consider reading up on complementary
      techniques such as XP and Lean instead.

      Some other personal favorites are:
      - Managing the Design Factory (Donald Reinertsen)
      - 5 dysfunctions of a team (Patrick Lencioni)
      - Agile estimating and planning (Mike Cohn)
      - Becoming a technical leader (Jerry Weinberg)

      .... but there's no end to the number of great books out there, so it
      really depends on what you want to learn :o)

      Good luck! And don't forgot that if you choose to clone the process
      from my book remember to keep experimenting yourself afterwards to
      adapt it to your context...

      /Henrik

      --
      Henrik Kniberg