Re: [scrumdevelopment] Value over Velocity (was Tasks hours vs story points)

    Message 1 of 71 , Apr 2, 2009
      Hello, Ryan. On Thursday, April 2, 2009, at 8:29:25 AM, you wrote:

      > I have seen first hand what happens when execs get ahold of team
      > velocity and get fixated on making that number higher, saying things
      > like, "We can make our release with all the features promised if we
      > can just get our velocity up to 70 points per iteration". While we
      > should all be challenged to do better each sprint, wanting/wishing/
      > hoping for a 50% improvement in velocity is unrealistic. Velocity is
      > what it is.

      Yes. The best driver in the world won't get around the track in 1/2
      the time of the average driver. Whatever level of performance a team
      has, they'll likely improve by percentages, not by multiples.

      Demanding such changes is almost certainly going to be harmful.

      > But my larger point is this: I bet 90% of the agile teams today spend
      > more time and energy on measuring and managing velocity than
      > measuring and managing the value of their work. I would say most
      > agile teams I see (and read about) are overly focused on building the
      > thing right and under focused on building the right thing. You need
      > to do both, but current agile thinking focuses much more attention on
      > the former and far too little on the latter, which is a shame.

      Yes. Surely the relative value of stories is at least 10x, and so is
      the cost. So there are things to do that cost 1 and are worth 100,
      while others cost 100 and are worth 1. The difference due to choice
      is profound.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      You are to act in the light of experience as guided by intelligence.
      -- Nero Wolfe
      Message 71 of 71 , Apr 2, 2009