Re: [scrumdevelopment] Never ending story

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 1, 2009
      Congratulations - this is a great start.

      There are two obvious possibilities:
      - The stories were too large so the team wasn't able to identify all of the tasks.
      - In the planning meeting not enough effort was placed on identifying tasks.

      Ask the team what it thinks during the retrospective - they will often have great insights.

      Also its normal for a team to miss some tasks - there are always new things discovered during the iteration that weren't obvious in the planning. If you're estimating tasks in hours - I like to under commit by 30-40% vs nominal capacity. That allows for new things to be discovered without blowing things up.

      Cheers
      Mark

      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM, inanc_gumus <inanc.gumus@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      We as a newbie scrum team are just finished our first pilot/simulation sprint.

      Our team didn't care about the burn-down chart and I think it's because actual burn-downs never decreased, each day new unexpected tasks (because of the legacy software's dependencies) are popped up and so it's went up. I think this is demotivated the team about the chart.

      Is this normal? What do you suggest?

      --
      Cheers
      Mark Levison
      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 8, 2009
        I didn't quite see it that way,but you are right

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: dnicolet@...
        Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 00:46:54 +0000
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Goodbye for now... (Was: Re: Never ending story)

        --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Roy Morien <roymorien@. ..> wrote:

        > It often seems to me when I am having fun in my unreal world that the > real world is an asylum run by the inmates.

        Look on the bright side: An asylum run by the inmates is a self-organizing team.

        Cheers,
        Dave

        Get the new Windows Live Messenger. Looking for a fresh way to share photos?