Re: [scrumdevelopment] Never ending story

  • Jim Schiel
    Message 1 of 69 , Apr 1, 2009
      I can definitely see why your team would be de-motivated by this. But, rather than ignoring it, use your backlog and your burndown as a driving force in your retrospective meeting to discuss why these things happened. As is normal with Scrum implementations, you're going to uncover lots of organizational dysfunction as your team starts using Scrum (this is why we say that Scrum is a framework that affects the entire organization -- you can implement it with a development team in mind, but lots of organizational issues are going to pop up anyway).

      So, get the team together and discuss -- where did these unexpected tasks come from? What's causing them? How can we stop them? How can we plan for them? What do we need to do to make the line go down instead of up?

      I know your team is unhappy with what happened --- but nothing good happens all at once. It takes time and perseverance. Use this information to make things better.

      If I can help out, please let me know.

      Jim Schiel, CST

      On Apr 1, 2009, at 10:18 AM, inanc_gumus wrote:

      Hello,

      We as a newbie scrum team are just finished our first pilot/simulation sprint.

      Our team didn't care about the burn-down chart and I think it's because actual burn-downs never decreased, each day new unexpected tasks (because of the legacy software's dependencies) are popped up and so it's went up. I think this is demotivated the team about the chart.

      Is this normal? What do you suggest?

    • Roy Morien
      Message 69 of 69 , Apr 8, 2009
        I didn't quite see it that way,but you are right

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: dnicolet@...
        Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 00:46:54 +0000
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Goodbye for now... (Was: Re: Never ending story)

        --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Roy Morien <roymorien@. ..> wrote:

        > It often seems to me when I am having fun in my unreal world that the > real world is an asylum run by the inmates.

        Look on the bright side: An asylum run by the inmates is a self-organizing team.

        Cheers,
        Dave

        Get the new Windows Live Messenger. Looking for a fresh way to share photos?