Three 'bells' + 1?

  • bazil_arden
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 19, 2009
      One of my big takeaways from the Gathering in Orlando was from Ken Schwaber and Alistair Cockburn's entertaining session. For those that weren't in the room it boiled down to the stock three answers that Ken uses when he is asked to advise / intervene with a Scrum team.

      In essence everything can be answered with one of three replies, either;
      1 - Ask the team (for their ideas and ways to improve)
      2 - Deliver (deployable code each sprint)
      Or 3 - Inspect and adapt (find ways to improve, sprint after sprint)

      Whilst these three bells** are definitely enough, as Ken's experience testifies to, it left me wondering, if you could extend this with a fourth bell, what would it be?

      For me the additional bell is `make it visible'

      When a Scrum team is looking for ways to improve, the first place I draw their attention to is 'how can we make the work or the constraints more visible?'.
      The burndowns, scrum board and stand-up are great, however, there may be other ways that the team can make visible the project quality, it's estimating ability or the way in the which the process upstream or downstream of the team is causing waste i.e. looking beyond the team.

      ** why `bell'? – because each time Ken mentioned the answer Alistair would ting one of three glasses on the table to signify the phrase.

      What is your fourth bell?