Re: We can use SCRUM for anything?

  • davenicolette
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2009
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "wboton" <wboton@...> wrote:

      > What kind of software scrum is good for? What caracteristics define a software that we can't use scrum?
      >
      > For exemple, a software that, before start the development, has hundreds of stories defined by the stakeholders and all them are necessary to solve the problem, has lots of integration with other systems, will benefit from scrum?

      I think Scrum can be useful in the situation you describe.

      1. Many stories predefined. What usually happens in cases like this is that the stories are not clearly defined, are not prioritized, are not independent, and lack acceptance criteria. There is a fairly comprehensive list of desired features, which is good; but that doesn't mean they are in a state the team will be able to use. A couple of features of Scrum are helpful here: (a) Frequent direct collaboration between stakeholders and the project team, and (b) short feedback loops, providing ample opportunity to clarify the stories.

      2. Many integration points with external systems. If we try to integrate at the end of development, the large number of interfaces increases the likelihood of integration problems. Scrum can help by providing a process framework for incremental delivery. Although all features must be complete before the solution can be deployed to production, it is still possible to deploy to a staging environment. The interfaces can be fully tested in the staging environment as they are developed. It is also usually true that some of the external interfaces will change in the course of the project. By having interfaces in a staging environment where they can be exercised with automated tests, we have a simple mechanism in place to detect such changes early. These factors will reduce the chances of significant deployment problems at the end of the project.

      Cheers,
      Dave