RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How many chickens is too many?

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 12, 2009
      If the managerial culture is a supportive, encouraging, mentoring type culture, then having the managers there can be beneficial, showing (as has been suggesyed in this post) interest ans support, and giving the developers a positive boost. Part of this culture is a feeling of freedom to admit mistakes and shortcomings, and seek team assistance to overcome this. I would suggest that problems take up the most time in a meeting, rather than successes, which are probably noted with approval and then the meeting moves on.

      The opposite situation is one that is unfottunately more prevalent, and that is a management culture of control, discipline, blame, where it is just not a good idea to admit mistakes or problems in front of the managers - especially if some of those problems arise because of the actions and decisions of those same managers. I have experienced this 'toxic' environment and learned quite soon to shutup when a particular manager was there mainly to note the shortcomings of everyone, rather than to become aware of their successes.

      However, one way or the other, the fact is that the Daily Standup is regulated by certain very sensible rules. Keep it short, stand and don't sit, address three questions honestly and quickly exchange the necessary information. Follow up any necessary points with off-line discussion. So, where do the managers really fit in here? They don't!

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: luke.visser@...
      Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:41:21 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How many chickens is too many?

      Wow, what an intriguing discussion. I liked the comment earlier regarding only getting one perspective. So, I thought I'd add mine, from the chicken's perspective. Actually I think the metaphor is crap because my stake (as a supposed chicken) is pretty high too.

      The ratio of managers to team members can range from 1:2 to 1:5 in the team standups we have here. We (the team members) actively encourage managers to come along to our morning standups. They love the fact that their lives (at work) are taken an interest in by the people that "manage" them.

      You'd be surprised how much a CEO/MD actually has a stake in your project. Especially if the money for the project is coming directly from his/her pocket. Kind of makes the chicken/pig analogy mute.

      I think when you don't want to have management there you have issues you should deal with internally. You may not of course, but my experience suggests that in teams like that you do.

      Lack of transparency. You're saying things that you don't want managers to hear (rightly or wrongly). That's because by the time it's got to management it's been "adjusted" for their ears. We want our managers to know what's going on, we want them to understand the intricacies, wins and losses. We want them to know based on reality not heresay. As a manager, I want to know too. Transparency should be encouraged and any mechanism put in place to stifle it is causing your organisation problems.

      Intimidation. Notice this one all the time. Lots of people are intimidated in direct proportion to the level of the manager. It's silly, not needed and unhelpful. But ... it's human. If you have a manager that likes intimidating then talk to him/her about it. Work never gets done better by intimidation. If engineers are intimidated by managers, sit down and talk with them, find out why and look to solving it.

      Road Blocks. It's amazing how much easier it is for a manager to get rid of road blocks when an engineer/developer might spend considerable time grumbling and running into brick walls. If "road block" identification is part of your standup (and it should be) then having managers there is really useful.

      There's probably others but they're the obvious ones to me that I've seen over time. Managers are people too, have as many foibles and nuances as everyone else. For the most part they want to help and ensure projects work well too. Don't exclude them from your projects, they can be very useful allies.

      Oh, forgot this one. Crap Managers. That one is much, much harder to deal with :-). Yep, might mean a quite coffee discussion between a senior member (or the most diplomatic one) with the manager to determine his/her motivations for attending.

      Luke

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "Whitten, Richard" <richard.whitten@ ...> wrote:

      > I have banned all managers from my daily Scrum meetings - for the reason
      > you outlined below.
      >

      > Rich

      Let ninemsn property help. Need a new place to rent, share or buy?
    • Tapio Kulmala
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 13, 2009
        Hello Roy.

        If a developer brings out an impediment, one of the chickens/managers could know how to remove that impediment right away. It could make the scrum master's life a lot easier.

        Tapio

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 13, 2009
          That is why the Product Owner should be there, not a variety of managers. The situation that you describe has the potential to cause confusion, where the developers may start to feel that they have many masters who may or may not agree with each other.

          But so much depends on the managerial culture, the acceptance of and support of Scrum by managers, etc.

          Regards,
          Roy Morien

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: tapiokulmala@...
          Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:25:39 +0200

          On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:40 AM, Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com> wrote:

          However, one way or the other, the fact is that the Daily Standup is regulated by certain very sensible rules. Keep it short, stand and don't sit, address three questions honestly and quickly exchange the necessary information. Follow up any necessary points with off-line discussion. So, where do the managers really fit in here? They don't

          Download the new Windows Live Messenger Find out what’s new with your friends
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 13, 2009
            Hello, Roy. On Thursday, March 12, 2009, at 2:14:56 PM, you wrote:

            > Maybe a little subterfuge is neccesary. Pretend to have the daily
            > Scrum and make it fast and efficient ... 15 minutes max. Then go
            > somewhere else and have a real one, sans managers :) Maybe have
            > yesterday's Daily Scrum this morning, but don't tell the managers.

            I've probably done such things, but in the end, the relationship
            between team and management cannot prosper unless we work toward
            transparency. This would be a step away from transparency in my
            opinion, and as such a very bad precedent.

            www.xprogramming.com/blog
            Attend our CSM Plus Course!
            If there's only one answer, then this must not be a very interesting topic.
          • Roy Morien
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 13, 2009
              I agree entirely, Ron, and my suggestion was not totally serious ... but unfortunately there are some managers who just cannot control themselves, and it is virtually impossible to be transparent with them. Any admission of a problem or a mistake made, or similar admission, is just what such a manager is looking for to allow him (or her) to assert their power and authority. Subterfuge is sometimes a survival tactic.

              Regards,
              Roy Morien

              To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
              From: ronjeffries@...
              Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 07:12:18 -0400
              Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] How many chickens is too many?

              Hello, Roy. On Thursday, March 12, 2009, at 2:14:56 PM, you wrote:

              > Maybe a little subterfuge is neccesary. Pretend to have the daily
              > Scrum and make it fast and efficient ... 15 minutes max. Then go
              > somewhere else and have a real one, sans managers :) Maybe have
              > yesterday's Daily Scrum this morning, but don't tell the managers.

              I've probably done such things, but in the end, the relationship
              between team and management cannot prosper unless we work toward
              transparency. This would be a step away from transparency in my
              opinion, and as such a very bad precedent.

              Ron Jeffries
              www.XProgramming. com
              www.xprogramming. com/blog
              Attend our CSM Plus Course!
              http://hendricksonx p.com/index. php?option= com_eventlist& Itemid=28
              If there's only one answer, then this must not be a very interesting topic.

              Get what you want at ebay. View photos of singles in your area
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 13, 2009
                Hello, Roy. On Friday, March 13, 2009, at 7:32:23 AM, you wrote:

                > I agree entirely, Ron, and my suggestion was not totally serious
                > ... but unfortunately there are some managers who just cannot
                > control themselves, and it is virtually impossible to be
                > transparent with them. Any admission of a problem or a mistake
                > made, or similar admission, is just what such a manager is looking
                > for to allow him (or her) to assert their power and authority.
                > Subterfuge is sometimes a survival tactic.

                It can be. I find survival tactics to be a poor refuge, but in tough
                times what can anyone do? And some people aren't as crazy as I am.

                What I choose to believe -- despite its obvious untruth -- is that
                by being transparent with such a manager, and jawboning him
                mercilessly, I can bring him around to letting the team do their
                job. I base that on the fact that I've been successful in doing it
                so often. One reason why I've been successful is that my work has
                been good ... and it is usually obvious to my management that I
                value the work more than I do the job, so that the usual threat
                avenues just don't work on me.

                Most people, again, aren't that crazy, so they are more likely to
                drop into survival mode.

                I think that's tragic, and I cannot recommend it, though I can
                understand it.

                www.xprogramming.com/blog
                Attend our CSM Plus Course!
                If you're not throwing some gravel once in a while,
                you're not using the whole road.
              • Mike Sutton
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 13, 2009
                  I coach all my teams towards transparency. Having managers or infact anyone else attend the daily scrum as observers is (IMHO) a good thing and if a problem arises as a result of doing it - address that issue (it may be that the manager tries to butt in - that indicates they need some level of coaching to understand why that is not appropriate).

                  Enforcing the rules of Scrum makes no sense if you defend the team so much that no one has the opportunity to challenge those rules.

                  my bit for the night.
                  mike.sutton
                  csm.csp.cspo.certified.certifiable.