Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Tracking number of passed story acceptance criteria during the sprint

    Message 1 of 74 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hello, Roy. On Saturday, February 28, 2009, at 11:03:51 PM, you
      wrote:

      > I would even go so far as to say What right do they have to be
      > reluctant to accept change?

      Millions of years of evolution?

      > Every change requested and incorporated into the system is one
      > step closer to a useful and useable system. Every change requested
      > and rejected is one step further away from having a system that is
      > acceptable to the user.

      This is simply not true. Many developers, if not most, have
      encountered conflicting priorities, and drivers who don't know where
      they are going. Quite a few have probably seen more of that than
      they have seen of this continual progress toward good that you seem
      to be imagining here.

      In addition, many if not most projects have a deadline and a budget.
      There is a finite amount of work that can be done before then. Doing
      one thing over and over would mean that at most one thing would be
      done. That would not likely be good.

      I agree that the PO has the right (and duty) to change what she sees
      fit, and that the team needs to "just do it" in some sense. However,
      the results of the project will depend strongly on how well she
      makes her selections.

      Here's a game for you to play. Take a deck of, oh, twenty cards, and
      put the numbers from one to twenty on them. These are the stories
      and their values: number 1 is worth 1, 20 is worth 20.

      We get ten plays and we play the game two ways.

      First way: pick ten cards from the deck with intention to do them,
      maximizing value. Hint (20, 19, 18, ...)

      Second way: Shuffle the deck and draw a card blindly. On a sheet of
      paper, write the number you got. Put the card back in the deck and
      repeat. If you ever get the same number, cross out that number on
      the sheet of paper, and write it again: you just did that story
      over.

      Play the game as often as you want. The first way never loses.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Attend our CSM Plus Course!
      The rules are ways of thinking, not ways to avoid thinking.
      Message 74 of 74 , Mar 7, 2009
        Hello, Robert. On Saturday, March 7, 2009, at 1:51:27 PM, you
        wrote:

        > What seemed odd to me about your game is that it seemed to involve
        > no decision making during play. I had been expecting to see some kind of
        > evaluation and some kind of decision-making about making changes.

        Maybe next game, with that point. :)

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Attend our CSM Plus Course!
        The model that really matters is the one that people have in
        their minds. All other models and documentation exist only to
        get the right model into the right mind at the right time.
        -- Paul Oldfield