RE: [scrumdevelopment] Doubt in scrum and xp from the trenches, daily scrum

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 74 , Feb 28 8:22 PM
      Isn't 'remaining time' a given? If you are considering remaining time in a sprint, then the calculation of remaining time is simple arithmetic: number of developers X number of days left in the sprint X number of development hours per day.

      And how is 'effort' measured? That is the purpose of User Stories and calculations of Velocity and stuff.

      But Story Points completed is only measured on completed User Stories ... 'Done!'. So therefore we can assume that remaining effort can be measured by the number of user stories not done, and tallying their story points. It is extemely difficult to estimate the proportion of any user story completed so far. Remember the old saying 'The first 90% takes half the time, and the other 10% takes the other half' (or something, but the point is made about measuring partially done work and partially remaining work).

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: joakim.h.karlsson@...
      Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:57:25 +0100
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Doubt in scrum and xp from the trenches, daily scrum

      On Feb 27, 2009, at 13:24, Amanda Varella wrote:

      > My question is: what we should track? Remaining effort or remaining
      > time?

      I guess Henrik's book mentions a few alternatives for tracking.

      There's no prescribed way I'm afraid.

      You need your team to be able to get a sense of whether they're on the
      way to meet their commitment for the sprint or not. They might do that
      by estimating time for tasks, estimating size of stories, or just
      count what's left.

      In your current situation - what do you think you need to track, if
      anything?

      Regards,
      Joakim Karlsson
      http://www.jkarlsso n.com/blog

      Let ninemsn property help! Need a new place to rent, share or buy?
      Message 74 of 74 , Mar 7, 2009
        Hello, Robert. On Saturday, March 7, 2009, at 1:51:27 PM, you
        wrote:

        > What seemed odd to me about your game is that it seemed to involve
        > no decision making during play. I had been expecting to see some kind of
        > evaluation and some kind of decision-making about making changes.

        Maybe next game, with that point. :)

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Attend our CSM Plus Course!
        The model that really matters is the one that people have in
        their minds. All other models and documentation exist only to
        get the right model into the right mind at the right time.
        -- Paul Oldfield