Re: [scrumdevelopment] Starting Scrum or "ScrumLike" in a new environment

  • Alan Dayley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2009
      Hello, Joshua,

      On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Joshua Gough <jsgough@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I recently began a new job within a company that is not a software
      > development company. The development team now consists of just three
      > developers. The other two are somewhat independent of each other in terms of
      > what they are working on. My work must combine parts from both of their
      > work.

      Sounds like a good situation for Scrum. Should help you combine the
      pieces and also cross-train knowledge between the three of you.

      > I want to start some scrum-like practices for our team to facilitate
      > collaboration and communication.

      Good goal.

      > So far, this is what I'm doing:
      >
      > - Sending an email each morning with the stand-up style questions / answers

      Any particular reason you are not doing the stand-up meeting in
      person? The effectiveness of in person communication is much higher
      than even the best email. (See
      http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/communication.htm#HowDoWeCommunicate)

      > - Creating my own personal "scrum board" in my office to track my own work
      > and help give the other guys an easy at-a-glance view of what I'm working on
      > and have in my backlog.

      What are the impediments to having a team board with task for all three of you?

      > We'll be starting to have brief Monday meetings for coordinating what we're
      > doing.

      So you are moving toward one week sprints with a planning meeting
      every Monday. Don't forget to add a retrospective. Even a short one
      is powerful.

      > From my understanding, one of the other devs had a less than positive
      > experience with scrum in a previous company. Basically, I think management
      > used scrum as a way to impose more frequent delivery dates, yet did not
      > spend any time trying to understand what scrum and agile are really meant to
      > be, about sustainable, realistic pace with team and management collaborating
      > to define deliverables.

      That's a hard thing to overcome. I'd suggest a lunch or other casual
      enviornment to have a conversation in your team about what Scrum is...
      And what Scrum is not. Sometimes people were told they were doing
      Scrum when they were not.

      > So, I was curious how others have approached these situations and what
      > Techniques, Tips, and Tools you have found useful.
      >
      > My main concern is simply that communication be done well enough that we
      > build the right product for our company and have fun collaborating as a
      > team.

      I commend you for going in the right direction and for having the
      right motivation. I think right now you need to do more things as a
      team. What you have described sounds like three individuals working
      on some things that happen to have to work together. I'd focus on
      getting the three of you doing things physically together, like the
      daily scrum, to create more of a team working on the same thing, a
      product.

      Alan