Re: ScrumMaster as facilitator vs. ScrumMaster as coach

  • Joseph Little
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 27, 2009
      To the subject line and one comment below...

      My experience is that the most important thing an SM does is remove
      impediments (get impediments removed). He is the "Impediment Remover
      In Chief". All the other things fall under this. ("All" is perhaps too
      simplistic.)

      My experience is that "facilitator" (as I use that term) is a minor
      role in Scrum. (Others might define it more broadly than I do.)

      "Coach" again has different meanings to different people. If one means
      "coaching the team and those around the team to help remove
      impediments so that the team becomes more effective" then, it means
      about what I mean by Impediment-Remover-In-Chief.

      The IRiC phrase wants to emphasize an aspect parallel to the PO. It is
      key that the SM prioritize (do final prioritization) and own the
      Impediment List. And drive them, one-by-one to completion. (Drive's
      connotation of being Command & Control not intended.)

      My 2 cents.

      Thanks, Joe

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jens.meydam"

      <http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/2008/09/shock-therapy-bootstrapping.html>
      > > nd.com/scrum/2008/09/shock-therapy-bootstrapping.html).
      > >
      > > Let me quote two paragraphs:
      > >
      > > "I heard similar stories from an Agile leader at JayWay in Sweden.
      > > Using a forceful and mandatory way of implementing Scrum and good
      > > engineering practices, that Agile leader got similar results to
      MySpace.

      > > Rob Mee at Pivotal Labs in San Francisco uses a forceful total XP
      > > immersion experience to bootstrap teams. They do everything exactly
      > > his way for three months. After that they have full body understanding
      > > of the Agile motion and he can send them on their way. It has worked
      > > well on 40 startups so far."
      > >
      > > Regards
      > >
      > > Jens

    • davenicolette
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 1, 2009
        Good observations. I suspect what made that presentation effective
        wasn't necessarily that the drawings were low fidelity compared with
        PowerPoint slides, but rather that the drawings were made in real time
        in conjunction with your talk. The combination tends to help
        information stick in people's minds. People recall how the drawings
        were elaborated more easily than they can remember the details of a
        completed diagram that is presented to them all at once.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Roy Morien <roymorien@...> wrote:

        > 'little cartooney icons' ... great idea and very successful often.
        One of the best (as in well received) presentations I ever made, to a
        group of user area people, including high level managers, was made by
        using a white board, some coloured markers, and free hand drawn images
        of telephone lines across the country, factories, stick figures in
        various colours for different users, badly drawn little cars and
        trucks and stuff like that. In the eyes of the 'Powerpoint Brigade' it
        may have been considered highly unprofessional and untidy, but the
        audience loved it. The comment was 'This is the first time I've ever
        really understaood a presentation about our systems. Usually we get
        snowed with a lot of technical jargon and beautiful diagrams that we
        don't understand'.

        > This is somewhat reminiscent of the 'Rich Picture' that is part of
        the Soft Systems methodology, and could even be seen almost as a mind
        mapping diagram.

        > As someone once said, it doesn't have to have sharp corners to be
        useful. The 'cloud' or 'potato' is ok too.

        http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Edomain%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Fs%5Fcid%3DFDMedia%3ANineMSN%5FHotmail%5FTagline&_t=774152450&_r=Domain_tagline&_m=EXT