Need Advice: Scaling Scrum/ Scrum of Scrums

  • redbull1214
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2009
      Hi Everyone!

      I've deployed scrum onto three teams. Each team is building
      technology that is suppose to coalesce into a "new product".

      Here is my question: for this "new product," should I advise:

      1. the creation of an additional scrum team for building "new product"

      OR

      2. create a second tier "scrum of scrums" where emissaries from each
      of the original three teams meet

      If I should do the second option, can anyone advise good reading
      material? I've already read Mike Cohn's article on Scaling Scrum.

      http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/46-advice-on-conducting-the-scrum-of-scrums-meeting

      Please advise. Any and all feedback are appreciated.

      James Lee
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
        On 27 Feb 2009, at 02:08, redbull1214 wrote:

        > Hi Everyone!
        >
        > I've deployed scrum onto three teams. Each team is building
        > technology that is suppose to coalesce into a "new product".
        >
        > Here is my question: for this "new product," should I advise:
        >
        > 1. the creation of an additional scrum team for building "new product"
        >
        > OR
        >
        > 2. create a second tier "scrum of scrums" where emissaries from each
        > of the original three teams meet
        >
        > If I should do the second option, can anyone advise good reading
        > material? I've already read Mike Cohn's article on Scaling Scrum.
        >
        > http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/46-advice-on-conducting-the-scrum-of-scrums-meeting

        Any chance of turning the three teams into one team? (just curious...)

        Adrian
      • redbull1214
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2009
          Hi Adrian,

          Each of the three teams are aligned to their own technology/ product.
          Combining them would turn them into a 15+ sized team, which I think
          may be too big.

          Also, I don't think the team members would be supportive of that.
          When I deployed Scrum, I tried to keep it intuitive by converting
          pre-existing development teams into Scrum teams (thereby keeping team
          camaraderie in tact)--so far, this has worked out and everyone has
          been very cooperative.

          James Lee

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>
          wrote:

          > On 27 Feb 2009, at 02:08, redbull1214 wrote:
          >
          > > Hi Everyone!
          > >
          > > I've deployed scrum onto three teams. Each team is building
          > > technology that is suppose to coalesce into a "new product".
          > >
          > > Here is my question: for this "new product," should I advise:
          > >
          > > 1. the creation of an additional scrum team for building "new product"
          > >
          > > OR
          > >
          > > 2. create a second tier "scrum of scrums" where emissaries from each
          > > of the original three teams meet
          > >
          > > If I should do the second option, can anyone advise good reading
          > > material? I've already read Mike Cohn's article on Scaling Scrum.

          http://www.scrumalliance.org/articles/46-advice-on-conducting-the-scrum-of-scrums-meeting

          > Any chance of turning the three teams into one team? (just curious...)
          >
          > Adrian

        • Adrian Howard
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
            On 27 Feb 2009, at 18:29, redbull1214 wrote:

            > Hi Adrian,
            >
            > Each of the three teams are aligned to their own technology/ product.
            > Combining them would turn them into a 15+ sized team, which I think
            > may be too big.
            >
            > Also, I don't think the team members would be supportive of that.
            > When I deployed Scrum, I tried to keep it intuitive by converting
            > pre-existing development teams into Scrum teams (thereby keeping team
            > camaraderie in tact)--so far, this has worked out and everyone has
            > been very cooperative.

            I'm not really getting the relationship between what the teams are
            currently producting - and the new product?

            Adrian