RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: First Iteration Success Rate Statistics

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 23, 2009
      Great! ;)  Which means either the old saying 'Bullshit baffles brains' is holding true, or providing the metrics satisfies their managerial yearnings, or maybe even the metrics have some actual value :).  Oh, but I am cynical.

      The bottom line is that they are happy, and so Good For You!!!

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: james_k_lee@...
      Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:23:33 -0800
      Subject: RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: First Iteration Success Rate Statistics

      They love the metrics and are quite happy with the teams' performance.

      James ;)

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: roymorien@hotmail. com
      Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:34:36 +0000

      Oh, one last comment about this from me. How much time have you spent accumulating, collating, reporting and discussing these metrics with your upper management? What has been their response? Did they seem to feel that it demonstrated something that they were happy about, or not?

      Sometimes 'management' is a bit like 'the government', in that they feel that they must be seen to be doing something. If they do nothing, they will demonstrate their uselessness. If they do something, no matter how spurious and ultimately useless and even harmful, they can still say that they are /doing something/ and are on top of 'it'.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: james_k_lee@ hotmail.com
      Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:30:36 +0000

      Hi Roy (and all others who replied to my post),

      Thanks for ALL the thoughtful replies.

      By "FULL iteration performance metrics," I just meant that 1 team
      completed their first iteration and that I compiled metrics for:

      1. Hours Burndown (for all days throughout the iteration)
      2. Story Points Burnup, including Story Points Remaining & Blocked
      (for all days throughout the iteration)
      3. XX% Story Points Achieved
      4. XX% User Stories Completed
      5. XX% Hours Estimated Completed
      6. Started Velocity Graph (although this does not become useful until
      several iterations to chart)
      7. Story Point to Hours Est Ratio (calculated as total story points
      divided by total estimated hours; I use this as a factor for effort
      and complexity sizing to hours estimated inflation/ deflation)

      I also do the above metrics for the other 2 teams I am scrumming, but
      they are not finished with their first iteration yet..

      I chose to do these metrics. It is a part of the reporting I provide
      to upper management at the close of each iteration for a team.

      Am I missing any useful metrics? Or, are any of the above metrics NOT
      useful? I welcome all comments.

      Thanks in advance.

      James Lee

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Roy Morien <roymorien@. ..> wrote:

      > Yep, and when they overetimate, and realise that at the end of the
      sprint, hopefully they learn, and don't overestimate so much next
      time. After 2-3 or even 3-4 sprints, they probably have settled down
      into estimating just a little bit too much, but acceptably a little
      bit too much. That is assuming a newly constituted team that does not
      already have experience with Scrum or similar.

      > I am interested in the statement 'While we have FULL first iteration
      performance metrics for one team ...'. What were these performance
      metrics, and how were they accumulated and measured? '...one team...'
      is specifically stated ... were there other teams who did not have
      such metrics? Who decided the metrics, and who decided to do the
      measurement?

      http://www.notesfro matooluser. com/2008/ 10/agile- games-for- making-retrospec tives-interestin g.html

      > It's simple! Sell your car for just $50

      http://a.ninemsn. com.au/b. aspx?URL= http%3A%2F% 2Fsecure% 2Dau%2Eimrworldw ide%2Ecom% 2Fcgi%2Dbin% 2Fa%2Fci% 5F450304% 2Fet%5F2% 2Fcg%5F801459% 2Fpi%5F1004813% 2Fai%5F859641& _t=762955845& _r=tig_OCT07& _m=EXT

      Get what you want at ebay. Get rid of those unwanted christmas presents!

      Windows Live™ Hotmail®:…more than just e-mail. Check it out.

      Click here for the latest news and tips. Get the most out of your life online!