A few questions regarding the ScrumButt test

  • esserjohn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2009
      I like the ScrumButt test as presented by Jeff Sutherland (see
      http://jeffsutherland.com/scrum/2008_12_01_archive.html). Most of it
      is straightforward, but I have a couple of questions regarding some of
      the criteria in the test.

      1) Product Owner who motivates the team

      What is this about exactly? Assuming he does his product owner
      responsibilities well does he have to be a cheer leader too?

      2) Estimation Error < 10%

      Which estimates? Task breakdowns or story point estimates? I'm
      assuming it's referring to story point estimates because the slide
      talks about the team doing planning poker, etc. Assuming that's the
      case how do you measure/track estimation accuracy with story points?

      Any insight would be much appreciated.

      -John
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2009
        Hello, esserjohn. On Sunday, February 8, 2009, at 6:33:16 PM, you
        wrote:

        > 1) Product Owner who motivates the team

        > What is this about exactly? Assuming he does his product owner
        > responsibilities well does he have to be a cheer leader too?

        Motivation and cheerleading are quite different. A team needs to
        believe that the features they are asked to do are important.
        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        You have to either laugh or cry. -- Bill Rogers
      • francisco.mardones
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2009
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "esserjohn" <john.esser@...> wrote:
          > 2) Estimation Error < 10%
          > Which estimates? Task breakdowns or story point estimates? I'm
          > assuming it's referring to story point estimates because the slide
          > talks about the team doing planning poker, etc. Assuming that's the
          > case how do you measure/track estimation accuracy with story points?

          I'd assume story points estimation. If your estimation for the sprint was 300 sp, then you have +- 30 points as error tolerance.

          Regards
          Francisco