Helping your distributed team own their daily scrum - no more roll calls!

  • joel.feldman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009
      Here's a really simple suggestion which has had dramatic results for
      our team. When an entire scrum team is NOT at the same location and
      meeting on a conference bridge, it might seem logical for the Scrum
      Master to do a 'roll call' to ask members for their updates. Instead,
      have your team members talk in a fixed order (for instance
      alphabetically by first name). This subtle change results in a real
      shift towards the TEAM owning the daily scrum instead of the Scrum
      Master. When the team owns the scrum they are that much closer to
      owning the Sprint backlog.

      Sorry I don't remember where I first heard this suggestion so I could
      give credit but I found it so effective I thought it would be worth
      repeating here.