ScrumMaster Best Practices

  • jtubbs117
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
      My team is working on building a knowledge base of ScrumMaster best
      practices. I have to think that this has already been developed by
      organizations more mature in the use of Scrum. Would anyone be willing
      to share their ScrumMaster best practices that have been developed
      through actual practice?
    • John Stoneham
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
        On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:26 PM, jtubbs117 <jtubbs117@...> wrote:
        > My team is working on building a knowledge base of ScrumMaster best
        > practices. I have to think that this has already been developed by
        > organizations more mature in the use of Scrum. Would anyone be willing
        > to share their ScrumMaster best practices that have been developed
        > through actual practice?

        Henrik Kniberg's book 'Scrum and XP From the Trenches', available at
        http://www.crisp.se/henrik.kniberg/ScrumAndXpFromTheTrenches.pdf , may
        be a good start for you.

        Cheers,

        - John
      • Leonardo Frigo da Purificação
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009

          Hi

          Here is Leonardo - call me Leo - from Brazil. It’s my first time here and I’m a Scrum Baby, so first of all, I ask a little bit of patience…

          Before the question, I should say that here at the company that I work for, we have a process defined based on CMMI, but now we are going to an Agile approach. In this way, I would like to know, if someone can answer:

          how can I apply PPQA in a Scrum environment?

          To be more clear: we had a defined process for project planning (based on PMBoK :P) that once meets our quality assurance (PPQA) process, but now the company is  approaching to agile techniques and (trying to) adopting Scrum. I see, as the QA evaluator, two choices: lose my last yarn hair or have nightmares. Unless someone may help me, answering:

          how/when can I do the evaluations? What I need to have plus in my actual evaluations?

          or better:

          How can I get some ROI over these evaluations?

          To don't become a bald man (no offenses please), I was thinking about to (stay cool, of course, eat healthy food and) do nothing else, i.e. perform the process as is defined. In this way the evaluation need to happen exactly in the middle of the Iteration-Sprint to have able time to solve non-compliance issues. More: having lessons learned to contribute in the retrospective.

          Thinking in this way, how much chances I have to stop all my nightmares?

          Cheers&Peace!

          Leo

          p.s.: sorry if I made too much jokes...

        • banshee858
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009

            > To don't become a bald man (no offenses please), I was thinking about to
            > (stay cool, of course, eat healthy food and) do nothing else, i.e. perform
            > the process as is defined. In this way the evaluation need to happen exactly
            > in the middle of the Iteration-Sprint to have able time to solve
            > non-compliance issues. More: having lessons learned to contribute in the
            > retrospective.

            Bom dia! You are on the right track, but what would happen if you delayed the evaluations
            until the end of the Sprint?

            Carlton
          • banshee858
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009

                Carlton,

                I think that doing the evaluation during the Sprint is a pro-active attitude once that it would help the team to identify any mistake or even suggest some improvement. I don't know... Is it hurt the self-organization management?

                Abraço”,

                Leo

                > To don't become a bald man (no offenses please), I was thinking about to
                > (stay cool, of course, eat healthy food and) do nothing else, i.e. perform
                > the process as is defined.
                In
                this way the evaluation need to happen exactly
                > in the middle of the Iteration-Sprint to have able time to solve
                > non-compliance issues. More: having lessons learned to contribute in the
                > retrospective.

                Bom dia! You are on the right track, but what would happen if you delayed the evaluations
                until the end of the Sprint?

                Carlton

              • George Dinwiddie
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Leonardo Frigo da Purificação wrote:
                  > Before the question, I should say that here at the company that I work
                  > for, we have a process defined based on CMMI, but now we are going to an
                  > Agile approach. In this way, I would like to know, if someone can answer:
                  >
                  > *how can I apply PPQA in a Scrum environment?*

                  Hi, Leo,

                  You might want to ask over in http://groups.google.com/group/agilecmmi
                  also. You'll probably get a different perspective, there.

                  - George

                • Thierry Henrio
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Yes, and there is also a http://blog.crisp.se/henrikkniberg/2008/04/03/1207257360000.html...

                    I'm afraid I do not belong to an organization mature in scrum, so my path to knowledge is currently an ABC

                    Adapt (Inspect and) : find true and challenging problems
                    as for me, retro is a blessed time and place where team can act that one new practice will be experimented

                    Baby (Steps) : learn often and have short cycle
                    if your practices are pinned on the board and becoming yellow, then did someone accidentaly dropped coffee on and Shine should occur or are you sure you are still sharing problems and thoughts ?
                    I feel experimenting one proposal for an impediment is a good start, unless your team is fluent in concurrent programming and set based engineering

                    Conversation : on this point, no doubt orality is a good interface, and it is best with sight and touch
                    for taste and smell, then have a lunch with your team
                    can have 2 more C, from ... I must be sick I can not remember his name :)

                    Now, do you believe scrum should be enhanced by some best practices ?

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009

                      > I think that doing the evaluation during the Sprint is a pro-active attitude
                      > once that it would help the team to identify any mistake or even suggest
                      > some improvement. I don't know... Is it hurt the self-organization
                      > management?
                      >

                      > "Abraço",
                      >
                      > Leo

                      Normally, in Scrum people wait until the end of the Sprint to make adjustments. An
                      evaluation might be distracting to the Team. One of the reasons for a short cycle is that we
                      can afford to wait a "few days" before getting back into compliance with the process.

                      Carlton