Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Flaccid Scrum ...

  • Amanda Abelove
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1 5:30 PM
      How about "I hate posting things voicing minority opinions on the Internet that get googled and brought up in job interviews"

      I'll cc you.

      On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Amanda Abelove <amanda@...> wrote:
      > Totally! But let's take the discussion offline, since this isn't a product
      > management or marketing related list and will therefore probably annoy
      > everyone collectively :-)

      I am interested, and I would suggest that it is fine to post it here
      if it is pertinent to the practice of Scrum/Agile. It sounded like it
      was.

    • Kane Mar
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1 7:31 PM
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Abelove <amanda@...> wrote:
        > Totally! But let's take the discussion offline, since this isn't a product
        > management or marketing related list and will therefore probably annoy
        > everyone collectively :-)

        Sounds good. I'm looking forward to your email.

        Best regards,
        Kane Mar
        http://KaneMar.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kanemar
        http://www.twitter.com/Kane_Mar | http://www.twitter.com/AgileCarnival
      • georgievh
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1 8:09 PM
          Dear Amanda,

          I am a newbie in Scrum and will probably not be able to contribute to
          the debate. However, I am interested in the topic.

          Could you, please cc me too?

          Regards,

          Hristo

          <amanda@...<amanda%40scrumclub.org>>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Totally! But let's take the discussion offline, since this isn't a
          > > product
          > > > management or marketing related list and will therefore probably
          annoy
          > > > everyone collectively :-)
          > > >

          > > I am interested, and I would suggest that it is fine to post it here
          > > if it is pertinent to the practice of Scrum/Agile. It sounded like it
          > > was.

        • Stephen Palmer
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 2 5:50 AM
            Absolutely! Agile processes, Scrum or otherwise, make it harder to hide
            poor quality people and teams behind process compliance.

            Steve

          • Brad Appleton
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 2 9:39 AM
              Doesnt Scrum also prescribe (or at least REALLY STRONGLY recommend) at
              least daily integration and test-automation? I could swear I remember
              reading that in the first Scrum book from Schwaber and Beedle?

              I'm curious as to how often this problem is encountered even in the face
              of daily/nightly builds and test-automation (but not necessarily
              "continuous" integration, and no TDD, despite the string test-automation).

              What Ive seen is that even with the above (but no refactoring and TDD),
              the problem can still very easily happen. The recent book "Emergent
              Design" suggests that the discipline of Emergent Design (which includes
              both TDD and Refactoring) is the bare minimum in technical practices
              that are needed in conjunction with Scrum (no mention of pairing, tho it
              is often easiest to teach and grow refactoring expertise thru pairing).

              --
              Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>
            • Amanda Abelove
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 2 9:40 AM
                Sigh... I just figure it is easier to start a badass user group with some awesome tricks than try to do a million things with a user forum. Since this stuff is part of my job, I want it to be cooler and easier to get by the brass.

                Watch this space around the beginning of March: http://scrumclub.org

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2 9:48 AM
                  Stephen Bobick wrote:
                  > I've seen this "flaccid Scrum" before as well, and usually the culprit
                  > is (mis)use of the KISS principle and an aversion to the principal of
                  > agressive and regular refactoring.

                  I'm struggling with trying to get some folks thru this as well. Despite
                  drawing upon my wonderful list of "quotes" on simplicity at
                  http://blog.bradapp.net/2006/05/simple-aint-easy-myths-and.html

                  I still run into the misinterpretation of "Simple" as being easy to do
                  today/now rather than being simple to change/evolve over the long hall
                  (i.e. minimizing TOTAL work (today + tomorrow) rather than minimizing
                  CURRENT efforts.)

                  Maarten Volder's does a good job of describing the misconception at
                  http://www.maartenvolders.com/blog/2008/09/simplicity-and-why-it-matters.html

                  --
                  Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>
                • Mitch Lacey
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2 1:04 PM

                    Hello Adam,

                    Sorry to chime in a little late, but the topic of fixing defects into a Sprint is a bit of a perplexing one.

                    I’ve wrestled with this and have a chapter on it for my upcoming book.

                    One of the rules we have on the list is no spamming of blog posts or URL’s to drive traffic to our websites, but I talked to Ken about it and he’s OK with me sharing.

                    You can check out the draft chapter here:

                    http://tinyurl.com/chghy5

                    Please provide feedback on the chapter, it’s fresh off the press.

                    Mitch

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 2 1:59 PM

                      Hello,

                      My company is in the process of figuring out how we can better leverage Scrum techniques, disciplines and principles within our Data Center and Infrastructure groups to better support Scrum/Agile Development teams. Can anyone please share their experiences, approaches with aligning the planning of Data Center and Infrastructure new and updated build outs of all environments up and through Disaster Recovery in preparation of Sprint Development efforts.

                      What we are trying to do is align accordingly the timing of Infrastructure and Data Center build outs in direct relation with Development Sprint efforts so we can be better prepared for Sprint Development.

                      Questions we are asking ourselves:

                      Do we time-box work effort processes by server type, number of servers so we can strive for velocity levels to communicate back to the business and development for release planning?

                      Do we create a Scrum Service Level Model so we can maintain a plug and play of Virtual Machine resources for all project release initiatives?

                      Any help would be appreciative.

                      Tony