Re: Flaccid Scrum ...

  • Kane Mar
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Abelove <amanda@...> wrote:

      > I saw that. I still say that Scrum adoption is largely an issue of poor
      > branding and marketing.

      Hi Amanda,

      That's a very interesting statement. Would you can to elaborate on it?

      Best regards,
      Kane Mar
      http://KaneMar.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kanemar
      http://www.twitter.com/Kane_Mar | http://www.twitter.com/AgileCarnival
    • Kane Mar
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi George,

        > The answer is simple and obvious--improve the technical engineering
        > practice. The way to do that is not so easy, however.
        >
        > For example, Tim Walker suggests "Attention to technical excellence and
        > hiring motivated people are required for it to be successful." As true
        > as this is, it's no way for an organization to get from where it is to a
        > desired state of being able to reliably create desired functionality in
        > their software.
        >
        > People cannot suddenly be attentive to technical excellence. They must
        > slowly acquire the awareness and deeper understanding that they lack, or
        > they would already be attentive. Hiring motivated people suggests that
        > those doing the hiring will suddenly be able to understand what sort of
        > motivation is required, how to discern it in candidates, and follow
        > through with this criteria in preference to the criteria they've been using.
        >
        > And what would you do with the people you have now? Those that are
        > presumably not motivated toward technical excellence? Fire them all and
        > replace them? This is the HR equivalent to the total rewrite of a
        > legacy application, and it has some of the same problems. There is a
        > lot of domain knowledge hidden in there--knowledge that would be
        > difficult to find written down anywhere. The new must achieve the
        > competency of the old before it can begin to surpass it--until then, no
        > benefit is seen. The new will be starting in the same context as the
        > old, and therefore is likely to produce something with a similar
        > organization (or lack thereof).

        This is a terrific post! I've read the above 4 paragraphs about three times and each time I
        find something new. Great stuff!

        > The bottom line is that the developers have to learn to /recognize/ what
        > is "better," they have to learn how to /do/ it, and the cultural context
        > in which they work has to change such that it really is important enough
        > to have happen. Depending on where you start, that's a lot to change
        > all at once. It can take a lot of time and energy.

        Yes, I think you've spot on with the bottom line. It simply isn't enough to recognize
        'better', learn how to do it, and change the cultural context ... rather *all* these things
        need to happen to make any lasting impact. A lot of time and energy indeed! =)

        Best regards,
        Kane Mar
        http://KaneMar.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kanemar
        http://www.twitter.com/Kane_Mar | http://www.twitter.com/AgileCarnival
      • Amanda Abelove
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
          Totally! But let's take the discussion offline, since this isn't a product management or marketing related list and will therefore probably annoy everyone collectively :-)

          Amanda

          On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Kane Mar <kane_sfo@...> wrote:

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Abelove <amanda@...> wrote:

          > I saw that. I still say that Scrum adoption is largely an issue of poor
          > branding and marketing.

          Hi Amanda,

          That's a very interesting statement. Would you can to elaborate on it?

          Best regards,
          Kane Mar
          http://KaneMar.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kanemar
          http://www.twitter.com/Kane_Mar | http://www.twitter.com/AgileCarnival

        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
            On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Amanda Abelove <amanda@...> wrote:
            > Totally! But let's take the discussion offline, since this isn't a product
            > management or marketing related list and will therefore probably annoy
            > everyone collectively :-)

            I am interested, and I would suggest that it is fine to post it here
            if it is pertinent to the practice of Scrum/Agile. It sounded like it
            was.
          • Amanda Abelove
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
              How about "I hate posting things voicing minority opinions on the Internet that get googled and brought up in job interviews"

              I'll cc you.

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Abelove <amanda@...> wrote:
                > Totally! But let's take the discussion offline, since this isn't a product
                > management or marketing related list and will therefore probably annoy
                > everyone collectively :-)

                Sounds good. I'm looking forward to your email.

                Best regards,
                Kane Mar
                http://KaneMar.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/kanemar
                http://www.twitter.com/Kane_Mar | http://www.twitter.com/AgileCarnival
              • georgievh
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Dear Amanda,

                  I am a newbie in Scrum and will probably not be able to contribute to
                  the debate. However, I am interested in the topic.

                  Could you, please cc me too?

                  Regards,

                  Hristo

                  <amanda@...<amanda%40scrumclub.org>>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Totally! But let's take the discussion offline, since this isn't a
                  > > product
                  > > > management or marketing related list and will therefore probably
                  annoy
                  > > > everyone collectively :-)
                  > > >

                  > > I am interested, and I would suggest that it is fine to post it here
                  > > if it is pertinent to the practice of Scrum/Agile. It sounded like it
                  > > was.

                • Stephen Palmer
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Absolutely! Agile processes, Scrum or otherwise, make it harder to hide
                    poor quality people and teams behind process compliance.

                    Steve

                  • Brad Appleton
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Doesnt Scrum also prescribe (or at least REALLY STRONGLY recommend) at
                      least daily integration and test-automation? I could swear I remember
                      reading that in the first Scrum book from Schwaber and Beedle?

                      I'm curious as to how often this problem is encountered even in the face
                      of daily/nightly builds and test-automation (but not necessarily
                      "continuous" integration, and no TDD, despite the string test-automation).

                      What Ive seen is that even with the above (but no refactoring and TDD),
                      the problem can still very easily happen. The recent book "Emergent
                      Design" suggests that the discipline of Emergent Design (which includes
                      both TDD and Refactoring) is the bare minimum in technical practices
                      that are needed in conjunction with Scrum (no mention of pairing, tho it
                      is often easiest to teach and grow refactoring expertise thru pairing).

                      --
                      Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>
                    • Amanda Abelove
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Sigh... I just figure it is easier to start a badass user group with some awesome tricks than try to do a million things with a user forum. Since this stuff is part of my job, I want it to be cooler and easier to get by the brass.

                        Watch this space around the beginning of March: http://scrumclub.org

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Stephen Bobick wrote:
                          > I've seen this "flaccid Scrum" before as well, and usually the culprit
                          > is (mis)use of the KISS principle and an aversion to the principal of
                          > agressive and regular refactoring.

                          I'm struggling with trying to get some folks thru this as well. Despite
                          drawing upon my wonderful list of "quotes" on simplicity at
                          http://blog.bradapp.net/2006/05/simple-aint-easy-myths-and.html

                          I still run into the misinterpretation of "Simple" as being easy to do
                          today/now rather than being simple to change/evolve over the long hall
                          (i.e. minimizing TOTAL work (today + tomorrow) rather than minimizing
                          CURRENT efforts.)

                          Maarten Volder's does a good job of describing the misconception at
                          http://www.maartenvolders.com/blog/2008/09/simplicity-and-why-it-matters.html

                          --
                          Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>
                        • Mitch Lacey
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009

                            Hello Adam,

                            Sorry to chime in a little late, but the topic of fixing defects into a Sprint is a bit of a perplexing one.

                            I’ve wrestled with this and have a chapter on it for my upcoming book.

                            One of the rules we have on the list is no spamming of blog posts or URL’s to drive traffic to our websites, but I talked to Ken about it and he’s OK with me sharing.

                            You can check out the draft chapter here:

                            http://tinyurl.com/chghy5

                            Please provide feedback on the chapter, it’s fresh off the press.

                            Mitch

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009

                              Hello,

                              My company is in the process of figuring out how we can better leverage Scrum techniques, disciplines and principles within our Data Center and Infrastructure groups to better support Scrum/Agile Development teams. Can anyone please share their experiences, approaches with aligning the planning of Data Center and Infrastructure new and updated build outs of all environments up and through Disaster Recovery in preparation of Sprint Development efforts.

                              What we are trying to do is align accordingly the timing of Infrastructure and Data Center build outs in direct relation with Development Sprint efforts so we can be better prepared for Sprint Development.

                              Questions we are asking ourselves:

                              Do we time-box work effort processes by server type, number of servers so we can strive for velocity levels to communicate back to the business and development for release planning?

                              Do we create a Scrum Service Level Model so we can maintain a plug and play of Virtual Machine resources for all project release initiatives?

                              Any help would be appreciative.

                              Tony